Carrington Training Centre
|Manchester City training ground, Carrington|
|Location||Carrington Moss, Carrington,
|Owner||Manchester City F.C.|
Carrington Training Centre or Manchester City training complex, sometimes referred to as Carrington, is the training ground of English Premier League club, Manchester City. The Manchester City Academy is not based at Carrington but at the Platt Lane training complex in Fallowfield, Manchester.
The club plans to develop a £50m state-of-the-art training facility close to its Sportcity home in east Manchester. Manchester City's lease on the green belt land is due to expire within the next few years, and plans for a new training ground have since been accelerated.
Location and facilities
The training ground is situated away from the City of Manchester in Trafford, like that of neighbours Manchester United who also have a training ground nearby. The training ground is adjacent to a public footpath, allowing members of the public and photographers to watch training sessions freely in the past. In recent years, a six foot tarpaulin curtain surrounds the training ground, with photographers and members of the public resorting to step ladders and perching themselves on trees to watch training sessions. City have attempted to seek planning permission from Trafford Metropolitan Borough Council to increase the height of the barrier from six feet, the maximum height permitted without planning permission.
New training complex
It has been reported that Manchester City are looking to move from Carrington to Sportcity near the City of Manchester Stadium. In March 2010, Manchester City and Manchester City Council agreed to redevelop land around Sportcity and the club bought 59 acres (240,000 m2) of land nearby in Openshaw West. The new training ground will cost about £50m and is part of a £1 billion redevelopment around Eastlands that will be led by architect Rafael Vinoly.
- "Man City confirms training ground move and stadium extension plans". www.crainsmanchesterbusiness.co.uk. 12 March 2010. Retrieved 22 October 2010.
- "Manchester City planning new £50million training HQ". mirrorfootball.co.uk. 6 March 2010. Retrieved 22 October 2010.
- "Huge Manchester City Academy Plans: Pictures and Video". manchesterconfidential.co.uk. 19 September 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "In the Blue corner... Mauler Mario in fourth bust-up as Italian takes on Richards". Daily Mail. 16 December 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-21.
- "Barenbrug's Bar 7 Shoots & Scores at Man City FC's Training Ground". www.pitchcare.com. 7 January 2010.
- "Pathfinder group's Carrington day out". www.mcfc.co.uk. 29 October 2009.
- "City & Council sign east Manchester agreement". www.mcfc.co.uk. 12 March 2010.
- "Manchester City planning new £50million training HQ". www.mirrorfootball.co.uk. 6 March 2010.
- "Rafael Viñoly: Manchester City’s hot new signing". www.bdonline.co.uk.