|Area||1.90 sq mi (5 km2)|
|- land||1.90 sq mi (5 km2)|
|- water||0.00 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||1,561.2 / sq mi (603 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Carrollton, Illinois|
Carrollton is located at (39.296662, -90.408059).
According to the 2010 census, the city has a total area of 1.90 square miles (4.9 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,605 people, 1,077 households, and 724 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,561.2 people per square mile (602.3/km²). There were 1,175 housing units at an average density of 704.2 per square mile (271.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.77% White, 0.04% African American, 0.23% Native American, 0.31% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 0.19% from other races, and 0.38% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.50% of the population.
There were 1,077 households out of which 31.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.7% were married couples living together, 9.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.7% were non-families. 29.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 2.92.
In the city the population was spread out with 23.7% under the age of 18, 8.2% from 18 to 24, 24.3% from 25 to 44, 22.1% from 45 to 64, and 21.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 88.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $30,154, and the median income for a family was $37,368. Males had a median income of $33,194 versus $19,211 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,340. About 6.4% of families and 9.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.7% of those under age 18 and 8.2% of those age 65 or over.
There is a variety of options for dining in Carrollton: Alfonso's Pizza, The Brass Door, Cee Geez's Restaurant, The Dairy Bar, Dairy Queen, Goetten's Oasis, Lone Oak Golf Course, The Groovy Taco, and The Wagon Wheel.
There are two banks in Carrollton: Carrollton Bank and CNB Bank.
Carrollton is home to three schools: Carrollton High School (Carrollton, Illinois), Carrollton Grade School, and St. John the Evangelist Catholic School.
- Karen Allen, actress (Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)
- Edward Dickinson Baker, soldier, former U.S. Representative of Illinois, U.S. Senator of Oregon
- Alicia DeShasier, athlete, All-American softball player at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville; Gold Medal winner in javelin throw at the 2011 Pan American Games
- James Barnet Fry (1827-1894), US Army brevet major general; military historian; born in Carrollton
- John Hyde (1865-1912), American Presbyterian Missionary to India; known as "Praying Hyde"
- Barbara Owens, mystery and suspense writer; winner of the Edgar Award for Best Short Story ("The Cloud Beneath The Eaves")
- Henry Thomas Rainey, speaker of the United States House of Representatives during the "100 Days" of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's first term as president
- Major Marcus Albert Reno, commanded a battalion of the 7th U.S. Cavalry at the Battle of the Little Bighorn;. blamed for Custer's defeat
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Places: Illinois". 2010 Census Gazetteer Files. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.