||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013)|
Carrot Top on January 10, 2009
|Birth name||Scott Thompson|
February 25, 1965 |
Rockledge, Florida, U.S.
|Medium||Stand up comedy, television, film|
|Genres||Prop comedy, satire|
|Subject(s)||Self-deprecation, American culture, Hurricane Katrina|
|Influences||Robin Williams, George Carlin, Bill Cosby, Richard Pryor, Jonathan Winters|
|American Comedy Awards|
|Funniest Male Stand-Up Comic
Scott Thompson (born February 25, 1965), better known by his stage name Carrot Top, is an American stand-up comedian, actor, director, producer, writer, singer, and comedian, best known for his bright red hair, prop comedy, and self-deprecating humor.
Thompson was born in Rockledge, Florida on February 25, 1965, and grew up in nearby Cocoa, Florida. He graduated from Cocoa High School in 1983 and enrolled at Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton later that year. While still a freshman at Florida Atlantic, Thompson appeared in his first standup comedy routine.
Carrot Top has appeared in Larry the Cable Guy's Christmas Spectacular, Gene Simmons Family Jewels, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Criss Angel Mindfreak, Scrubs (2001), George Lopez, and Tugger: The Jeep 4x4 Who Wanted to Fly (2005). His film roles include Chairman of The Board, and he also served as a spokesman in commercials for 1-800-CALL-ATT. In 2002, he recorded a commentary track for The Rules of Attraction. In 2006, Carrot Top appeared in the Reno 911! episode "Weigel's Pregnant" as an enraged version of himself who trashed his hotel room, resisted arrest, and stole a police car. In 2008, he was a guest judge for Last Comic Standing in a contest wherein the participants had to perform prop comedy at a Bed, Bath and Beyond, using store items with only an hour to prepare.
From 1995 to 1999, Carrot Top was the continuity announcer for Cartoon Network, for which he also produced and starred in an early morning show called Carrot Top's AM Mayhem for two years (1994–1996).
As of 2005, he headlines at the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas and performs various comedy engagements when his show is not playing. His comedy routine incorporates dozens of props stored in large trunks on stage; his prop jokes commonly consist simply of his pulling out a prop, describing it in a one-liner, and tossing it away.
On January 16, 2010, Carrot Top appeared on Don't Forget The Lyrics!, wherein he assisted illusionists Penn & Teller in their quest for the million-dollar grand prize. He was one of the roasters at the Comedy Central Roast of Flavor Flav and Gene Simmons Roast. Carrot Top appeared on a second season episode of the TV series Mind Freak and has been a regular guest on the show every season since. Carrot Top also appeared in an episode of the reality series The Bad Girls Club. He appeared as himself in "Man Up," an episode of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, which was originally broadcast January 6, 2011, in Family Guy in 2006, in the episode "Petergeist", and Scrubs.
He has appeared on numerous nighttime television talk shows. In 1996, he appeared on the animated/live action Cartoon Network talk show Space Ghost Coast to Coast. On February 8, 2010, he appeared on an episode of The Jay Leno Show, wherein he had pies thrown at him by Leno and guest Emma Roberts.
On October 22, 2011, Carrot Top appeared as a first-time guest panelist on Red Eye w/Greg Gutfeld.
Carrot Top has also been frequently parodied; examples include Mr. Show (in which David Cross appears as "Blueberry Head"), King of the Hill ("Celery Head"), Family Guy ("Carrot Scalp"; he also made a guest appearance on the show as himself in "Petergeist"), South Park ("Carrot Ass"), MADtv, Phineas and Ferb ("Broccoli Top"), The Wayans Bros. ("Cabbage Head"), and The Suite Life on Deck ("Parsnip Top").
- Swearnet: The Movie (2014) as Carrot Top
- The Neighbors (2014)
- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (2011) as himself
- Tosh.0 (2010)
- Cash Cab (2010)
- The Hangover – Appears in the photographs as himself during the film credits (2009)
- The Game as himself (2009)
- The Bad Girls Club – Episode 8 (2009)
- The Girls Next Door (2008)
- "Gene Simmons Family Jewels" as himself (2007)
- Smiley Face – Brief walk on part (2007)
- Family Guy (2006)
- Tugger: The Jeep 4x4 Who Wanted to Fly (2005)
- George Lopez as himself (2005)
- The Aristocrats as himself (2005)
- Pauly Shore is Dead as himself (2003)
- Carrot Top Rocks Las Vegas (2003)
- Weakest Link (2002) as himself
- Scrubs as himself (2001)
- The Three Stooges N.Y.U.K. as Dr. Eugene Splicer (2000)
- Dennis the Menace Strikes Again (1998)
- Chairman of the Board (1998)
- Pure Danger (1996)
- Hourglass (1996)
- Katsilometes, John (August 11, 2014). "In Las Vegas, Robin Williams remembered as ‘one of the most beloved and respected comics ever’". Las Vegas Sun.
- Cocoa High School – Thompson, Scott (1983) Profile
- "Carrot Top Biography". carrottop. 2008. Archived from the original on 2006-11-28. Retrieved 2008-07-19.
- "Carrot Top". Comedy Central. Retrieved 2008-07-19.
- "Carrot Top Biography". filmreference. 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-06.
- "See Carrot Top at Luxor Hotel". Luxor Las Vegas. 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-19.
- The Jay Leno Show Episode Guide
- Carrot Top Rubdown on Tosh.0
- Between Two Ferns