Carter in 2008
January 30, 1970
Norwich, CT, U.S.
|Occupation||Artist, director, author, screenwriter|
Carter studied at the Maryland Institute College of Art, earning a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 1992. He then studied at the Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture in 1994, and the University of California, Davis, earning an MFA degree in 1997.
Carter is best known for his artwork that spans various media from painting and photography to sculptural installations, film and video. His works have been exhibited internationally, including the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York, Museum of Modern Art, New York, Tate Modern, London, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the USA Today and Abstract America exhibitions, at the Saatchi Gallery in London, England. His works have also been shown at the Royal Academy in London and the Museion in Bolzano, Italy. A comprehensive catalogue of Carter's work edited by Georg Kargl was published in 2008 titled, An Arm with Hair, (The Vienna Catalogue 1973). (ISBN 978-3-7082-3254-6)
Carter's first feature film, Erased James Franco was released in 2008. It stars the American actor, James Franco in a performance that has him reenact every film and television appearance from his entire career. The film also features Franco playing the part of Julianne Moore as her character in the film Safe directed by Todd Haynes and as Rock Hudson in the 1966 film, Seconds.
James Franco's appearances as a version of 'himself' on the daytime soap opera, General Hospital was inspired by Carter and can be seen as another facet or an extension of the work that began with the film, Erased James Franco.
Maladies, written and directed by Carter was filmed in New York in December of 2010. It stars Catherine Keener, James Franco, David Strathairn, Alan Cumming and Mary Beth Peil. In 2013, Maladies premiered at the Berlin International Film Festival, and the SXSW film festival in Austin and was released theatrically and VOD through Tribeca Films in March, 2014.
Carter's Polaroid photography can be seen in the traveling exhibition, The Polaroid Years: Instant Photography and Experimentation and in the publication The Polaroid Years: Instant Photography and Experimentation.
- Carter, "Some Feelings" ArtObserved, June, 2013
- Carter by Morgan Falconer, Frieze Magazine, September, 2007
- Carter by Mark Rappolt, Art Review Magazine, September, 2009
- Negative Thinking by Dennis Lim, Artforum, April, 2009
- Carter at Jack Hanley by Glen Helfand, Artforum, September, 2006
- Carter at Salon 94
- In a Word: Carter - Advocate, May 2009
- 5 Questions with "Maladies" Director Carter
- Carter interview, FILMMAKER magazine, 2013
- The Hollywood Reporter
- The Wall Street Journal
- Maladies, Los Angeles Times, February 2013
- The Huffington Post
- Negative Thinking - Artforum
- Paper Magazine
- Carter: Top 10 Best at Frieze, 2008 Evening Standard
- "Whitney Museum of American Art". Biennial Catalogue. Retrieved October 26, 2007.
- Carter Exhibit at the Saatchi Gallery
- Yvon Lambert, producer