Carter County, Montana
|Carter County, Montana|
Carter County Courthouse in Ekalaka, MT
Location in the state of Montana
Montana's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Thomas H. Carter|
|• Total||3,348 sq mi (8,671 km2)|
|• Land||3,340 sq mi (8,651 km2)|
|• Water||9 sq mi (23 km2), 0.26%|
|• Density||0.3/sq mi (0/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 3,348 square miles (8,671.3 km2), of which 3,340 square miles (8,650.6 km2) is land and 9 square miles (23.3 km2) (0.26%) is water.
- Powder River County, Montana - west
- Custer County, Montana - northwest
- Fallon County, Montana - north
- Harding County, South Dakota - east
- Butte County, South Dakota - southeast
- Crook County, Wyoming - south
||Custer County||Fallon County|
|Powder River County||Harding County, South Dakota|
|Crook County, Wyoming||Butte County, South Dakota|
National protected area
- Custer National Forest (part)
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,360 people, 543 households, and 382 families residing in the county. The population density was <1/km² (<1/sq mi). There were 811 housing units at an average density of <1/km² (<1/sq mi). The racial makeup of the county was 98.60% White, 0.07% Black or African American, 0.37% Native American, 0.15% Asian, 0.29% from other races, and 0.51% from two or more races. 0.59% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 35.3% were of German, 14.0% English, 12.9% Norwegian, 11.1% Irish and 5.2% Scottish ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 543 households out of which 30.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.60% were married couples living together, 7.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.50% were non-families. 27.10% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.47 and the average family size was 2.99.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.50% under the age of 18, 4.10% from 18 to 24, 24.90% from 25 to 44, 26.50% from 45 to 64, and 17.90% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 94.80 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.70 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $26,313, and the median income for a family was $32,262. Males had a median income of $21,466 versus $15,703 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,280. About 15.90% of families and 18.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.20% of those under age 18 and 16.40% of those age 65 or over.
- List of cemeteries in Carter County, Montana
- List of lakes in Carter County, Montana
- List of mountains in Carter County, Montana
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 14, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Merrill, Andrea; Judy Jacobson (1997). Montana almanac. Helena, Montana: Falcon Publishing. ISBN 1-56044-493-2.
- "Census 2010 Gazetteer Files". Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- Visit MT. "Medicine Rocks State Park". Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 14, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Minerals of Carter County.|