|Classification and external resources|
Cartilage–hair hypoplasia (CHH), also known as McKusick type metaphyseal chondrodysplasia,:578 is a rare form of short-limbed dwarfism due to skeletal dysplasia. It was first reported in 1965 by McKusick et al. Actor Verne Troyer is affected with this form of dwarfism, as was actor Billy Barty, who was renowned for saying "The name of my condition is Cartilage Hair Syndrome Hypoplasia, but you can just call me Billy."
CHH is an autosomal recessive inherited disorder. A rarely encountered genetic phenomenon, known as uniparental disomy (a genetic circumstance where a child inherits two copies of a chromosome from one parent, as opposed to one copy from each parent) has also been observed with the disorder.
- James, William; Berger, Timothy; Elston, Dirk (2005). Andrews' Diseases of the Skin: Clinical Dermatology. (10th ed.). Saunders. ISBN 0-7216-2921-0.
- McKusick VA, Eldridge R, Hosteler JA, Ruangwit U, Egeland JA (1965). "Dwarfism In The Amish. II. Cartilage-hair hypoplasia". Bull Johns Hopkins Hosp 116: 285–326. PMID 14284412.
- Chavez, Paul (2000-12-24). "The name of my condition is Cartilage Hair Syndrome Hypoplasia, but you can just call me Billy". ABC News. Retrieved 2010-01-26.
- Sulisalo T, Makitie O, Sistonen P, Ridanpaa M, el Rifai W, Ruuskanen O, de la Chapelle A, Kaitila L (1997). "Uniparental disomy in cartilage-hair hypoplasia". European Journal of Human Genetics 5 (1): 35–42. PMID 9156319.
- Bonafé L, Schmitt K, Eich G, Giedion A, Superti-Furga A (February 2002). "RMRP gene sequence analysis confirms a cartilage-hair hypoplasia variant with only skeletal manifestations and reveals a high density of single-nucleotide polymorphisms". Clin. Genet. 61 (2): 146–51. doi:10.1034/j.1399-0004.2002.610210.x. PMID 11940090.
- Ridanpää M, van Eenennaam H, Pelin K, Chadwick R, Johnson C, Yuan B, vanVenrooij W, Pruijn G, Salmela R, Rockas S, Mäkitie O, Kaitila I, de la Chapelle A (2001). "Mutations in the RNA component of RNase MRP cause a pleiotropic human disease, cartilage-hair hypoplasia.". Cell 104 (2): 195–203. doi:10.1016/S0092-8674(01)00205-7. PMID 11207361.
- Martin AN, Li Y (2007). "RNase MRP RNA and human genetic diseases.". Cell Res 17 (3): 219–26. doi:10.1038/sj.cr.7310120. PMID 17189938.
- Kavadas FD, Giliani S, Gu Y, Mazzolari E, Bates A, Pegoiani E, Roifman CM, Notarangelo LD (2008). "Variability of clinical and laboratory features among patients with ribonuclease mitochondrial RNA processing endoribonuclease gene mutations.". The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 122 (6): 1178–84. doi:10.1016/j.jaci.2008.07.036. PMID 18804272.
|This article about a disease, disorder, or medical condition is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|