Cartoon Network (Canada)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)|
|Launched||July 4, 2012|
|Owned by||Corus Entertainment
(branding licensed from Time Warner)
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
|Slogan||Are You CN What We're Sayin?|
|Bell TV||Channel 564 (SD)|
|Cogeco||Channel 98 (SD)
Channel 723 (HD)
|EastLink||Channel 751 (HD)|
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 567 (SD)
Channel 1567 (HD)
|MTS||Channel 157 (SD)
Channel 1157 (HD)
|Optik TV||Channel 84 (SD)
Channel 716 (HD)
|SaskTel||Channel 98 (SD)
Channel 398 (HD)
|FibreOP||Channel 507 (HD)|
Cartoon Network is a Canadian English-language Category B specialty channel. The channel is based on the U.S cable network of the same name, which broadcasts animated programming aimed at children and teens, and its late night counterpart, Adult Swim, which targets young adults. The channel is owned by Corus Entertainment, with the Cartoon Network and Adult Swim branding in use through a licensing agreement with Time Warner.
The channel is available in standard definition and high definition, and has two traditional Eastern and Pacific feed schedules. The channel is carried by Cogeco, EastLink, SaskTel, Bell TV, Bell Fibe TV, Bell Aliant TV, and Optik TV. As of January 2015, Shaw Cable, Vidéotron, and Rogers Cable have made no announcements of carriage of the channel.
After obtaining a license from the CRTC in November 2011 for the service Teletoon Kapow, Teletoon Canada Inc. (originally a joint-venture of Astral Media and Corus Entertainment) announced in February 2012 the launch of Cartoon Network and the programming block Adult Swim in Canada. The channel has launched in July 4, 2012. In preparation, programming blocks were introduced to Teletoon and Teletoon Retro.
On March 4, 2013, Corus Entertainment announced that it would acquire Astral Media's 50% ownership interest in Teletoon Canada (owner of Teletoon, Télétoon, Teletoon Retro, Télétoon Rétro, and Cartoon Network). The purchase was in relation to Bell Media's pending takeover of Astral (which had earlier been rejected by the CRTC in October 2012, but was restructured to allow the sale of certain Astral Media properties in order to allow the purchase to clear regulatory hurdles).
Corus's purchase was cleared by the Competition Bureau two weeks later on March 18. On December 20, 2013, the CRTC approved Corus's full ownership of Teletoon Canada and it was purchased by Corus on January 1, 2014. The channel continues to be owned by Teletoon Canada, now wholly owned by Corus Entertainment under its Corus Kids division.
In addition to new series from the U.S channel (such as Steven Universe, MAD and Uncle Grandpa), Cartoon Network also runs several of their past shows. Sister networks Teletoon and Télétoon continue to run recent Cartoon Network programming, while Télétoon Rétro & Teletoon Retro have begun running classic series.
While the Canadian version of Adult Swim carries most of the original programing that airs on its U.S counterpart, several shows (including Childrens Hospital and Newsreaders) and more recent series are noticeably absent. Furthermore, it does not carry a Canadian version of Toonami.
- CNW TELETOON Canada Inc. and Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. Bring Cartoon Network and Adult Swim to Canada in 2012 Teletoon Canada Inc. press release 2012-02-02
- Cartoon Network Update
- Check it: Cartoon Network to launch in Canada - July 4, 2012
- Wilford, Denette (February 2, 2012). "Cartoon Network, Adult Swim Coming To Canada". Huffington Post. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- BCE to sell assets to Corus as part of Astral deal, The Globe and Mail (via Reuters and The Canadian Press), March 4, 2013.
- The Canadian Press (uncredited staff) (2013-03-18). "Competition Bureau clears Corus acquisition of Astral assets". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- Vessing, Etan (2013-12-20). "Corus/Teletoon Deal Approved by CRTC". Kidscreen. Brunico Communications. Retrieved 2013-12-21.
- "Press Release - Corus Entertainment Receives CRTC Approval on TELETOON Canada Inc., Historia and Séries+ Acquisitions". Corusent.com. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Press Release - Corus Entertainment Completes Purchase of Historia, Séries+ and TELETOON Canada Inc". Corusent.com. 2014-01-01. Retrieved 2014-01-08.
- "Ownership Chart 32b" (PDF). Retrieved 2014-03-28.
- February 10, 2014 by Jeremy Dickson (2014-02-10). "Corus unveils Teletoon integration plan". Kidscreen. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "Childrens Hospital on MUCH". Retrieved 2014-05-14.