- Caruthers redirects here. For other uses, see Carruthers (disambiguation).
Location in Fresno County and the state of California
|• State Senator||Anthony Cannella (R)|
|• State Assembly||Henry T. Perea (D)|
|• U. S. Congress||David Valadao (R)|
|• Total||2.023 sq mi (5.238 km2)|
|• Land||2.023 sq mi (5.238 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||246 ft (75 m)|
|• Density||1,200/sq mi (480/km2)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature IDs||277485, 2407976|
Caruthers is a census-designated place (CDP) in Fresno County, California, United States. The population was 2,497 at the 2010 census, up from 2,103 at the 2000 census. Caruthers is located 15 miles (24 km) south of downtown Fresno, at an elevation of 246 feet (75 m).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.0 square miles (5.2 km2), all of it land.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Caruthers had a population of 2,497. The population density was 1,234.6 people per square mile (476.7/km²). The racial makeup of Caruthers was 1,224 (49.0%) White, 14 (0.6%) African American, 38 (1.5%) Native American, 221 (8.9%) Asian, 0 (0.0%) Pacific Islander, 904 (36.2%) from other races, and 96 (3.8%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1,591 persons (63.7%).
The Census reported that 2,486 people (99.6% of the population) lived in households, 11 (0.4%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 639 households, out of which 345 (54.0%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 409 (64.0%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 106 (16.6%) had a female householder with no husband present, 39 (6.1%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 35 (5.5%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 3 (0.5%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 72 households (11.3%) were made up of individuals and 36 (5.6%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.89. There were 554 families (86.7% of all households); the average family size was 4.16.
The population was spread out with 793 people (31.8%) under the age of 18, 302 people (12.1%) aged 18 to 24, 631 people (25.3%) aged 25 to 44, 528 people (21.1%) aged 45 to 64, and 243 people (9.7%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29.7 years. For every 100 females there were 101.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.5 males.
There were 680 housing units at an average density of 336.2 per square mile (129.8/km²), of which 426 (66.7%) were owner-occupied, and 213 (33.3%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 1.6%; the rental vacancy rate was 3.2%. 1,617 people (64.8% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 869 people (34.8%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,103 people, 572 households, and 481 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,052.4 people per square mile (406.0/km²). There were 602 housing units at an average density of 301.3 per square mile (116.2/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 52.40% White, 0.57% Black or African American, 0.29% Native American, 6.18% Asian, 30.91% from other races, and 9.65% from two or more races. 53.26% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 572 households out of which 50.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.4% were married couples living together, 11.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 15.9% were non-families. 14.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.66 and the average family size was 4.01.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 36.0% under the age of 18, 8.7% from 18 to 24, 28.7% from 25 to 44, 16.6% from 45 to 64, and 9.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29 years. For every 100 females there were 94.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.7 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $40,109, and the median income for a family was $45,221. Males had a median income of $32,535 versus $25,114 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $12,642. About 11.6% of families and 17.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.6% of those under age 18 and 15.7% of those age 65 or over.
Well-known events in the area include the Caruthers District Fair.
Caruthers Unified School District
Caruthers Unified School District 
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved April 6, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved April 6, 2013.
- "California's 21st Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved April 6, 2013.
- U.S. Census
- "Caruthers". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey.
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Quill Driver Books. p. 1013. ISBN 9781884995149.
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Caruthers Fair