Carver Military Academy
|Carver Military Academy|
Academic achievement is at the center of our philosophy.
|13100 S. Doty Avenue
Chicago, Illinois, 60827
|School type||Public Secondary Military|
2000 (as a military high school)
|School district||Chicago Public Schools|
|Principal||Steven E. Rouse|
|Athletics conference||Chicago Public League|
|Accreditation(s)||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Website||Carver HS homepage|
George Washington Carver Military Academy (formerly known as George Washington Carver Area High School) is a public 4-year military high school located in the Riverdale area on the far south side of Chicago, Illinois. It is named for African-American scientist and educator George Washington Carver. Carver was founded in 1947 as a neighborhood high school, and began the transition into becoming a military academy in 2000. It is the second public military high school to be established in the United States.
- Jason Avant, football player for the NFL's Philadelphia Eagles
- Terry Cummings, retired NBA basketball player who played for 18 seasons, NBA Rookie of the Year (1983)
- Yolanda Griffith, former ABL and WNBA basketball player, WNBA MVP (1999)
- General Hafeezah (formerly Deborah Frazier), author and motivational speaker
- Tim Hardaway, retired basketball player who became an NBA All-Star five times during his career (1991-1993, 1997, 1998)
- Cazzie Russell, former pro basketball player, #1 pick in the 1966 NBA Draft and NBA All-Star (1972)
- "High School Code Search". College Board. Retrieved 3 January 2010.
- "Chicago Public Schools: Carver Military Academy". Chicago Public Schools.
- "Chicago (Carver Military Academy)". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). 31 December 2009. Retrieved 3 January 2010.
- "Institution Summary for Carver Military Academy". AdvacedED profile. North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement. Retrieved 3 January 2010.
- "Carver facts". Chicago Sun-Times. April 22, 1992. 107.
- Michael Martinez. "Military focus OK'd for Carver High". Chicago Tribune. March 23, 2000. 9.
- "School Directory". Illinois High School Association.
- "BIO:PERSONAL". The Official Website Of Terry Cummings: BIO : PERSONAL.
- "Cazzie Russell welcomed back to his house". The Michigan Daily.