Prior to working at Lancaster University, Cooper was Head of the Manchester School of Management (UMIST) from the early 80s, In 1995 he became Pro-Vice Chancellor and then Deputy Vice Chancellor of UMIST until 2002. From 1979 to 1980 he was chairman of the Management Education and Development Division of the Academy of Management and was elected as Founding President of the British Academy of Management. In June 2005 he was appointed head of the Sunningdale Institute, which, managed by the United Kingdom National School of Government, brings international academics and industry figures together to advise on issues facing UK public sector organisations. He is Chair of the Academy of Social Sciences, a body representing over 88,000 social scientists and 46 learned societies in the social sciences (eg Royal Geographical Society, British Psychological Society, Political Studies Association, Royal Statistical Society, etc.). He is also President of RELATE, Patron of Anxiety UK, President of Institute of Welfare and immediate past President of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy. Cooper is also a director of well-being specialists and business psychologists at Robertson Cooper Limited, a university spin off company which he set up in 1999 with Ivan Robertson. He was the founding editor-in-chief of the Journal of Organizational Behavior.
Cooper has received the following awards from professional and academic organizations:
- 1994 Fellow of the British Academy of Management
- 1994 Elected a Fellow of the (British) Institute of Management
- 1997 Elected by the (American) Academy of Management as one of the first UK Fellows
- 1997 Became a Companion of the Institute of Management (now the Chartered Management Institute)
- 1998 Awarded the Distinguished Service Award by the (American) Academy of Management for services to the field of management
- 1998 Awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Letters from Heriot-Watt University (Edinburgh) for contributions to organizational psychology
- 1999 Awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Business Administration by Wolverhampton University
- 2002 Awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Science by Aston University
- 2003 Awarded an Honorary Doctorate by Middlesex University
- 2005 Cooper was elected as an Honorary Fellow of the Faculty of Occupational Medicine of the Royal College of Physicians
- 2006 Cooper was made Hon Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians
- 2008 Awarded Hon Fellow of the British Psychological Society
- 2008 Cooper was made an Hon Fellow of the Faculty of Occupational Medicine of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland
- 2008 Cooper was selected as Chair of the Academy of Social Sciences (body of nearly 88,000 social scientists and 46 learned societies).
- 2009 Cooper was appointed Chair of the Chronic Diseases Global Agenda Council of the World Economic Forum.
- 2010 Awarded the Lord Dearing Lifetime Achievement Award for Higher Education by THE
- 2011 Awarded an Honorary Doctor of Science by University of Sheffield
- 2012 Awarded Hon Fellowship of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health
Queen's Birthday Honours
Cooper was honoured in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List of June 2001, with a CBE.
"Building Resilience for Success. (with Jill Flint-Taylor and Michael Pearn, Palgrave-Macmillan, 2013. "High Engagement Work Culture: Balancing WE and ME. (with David Bowles), Palgrave-Macmillan, 2012.S "Wellbeing: Productivity and Happiness at Work. (with Ivan Robertson), Palgrave-Macmillan, 2011.s "The Science of Occupational Health". (with Ulf Lundberg), Wiley-Blackwell, 2011. * Employee Morale: Driving Performance in Challenging Times (with David Bowles), Palgrave-Macmillan October 2009
- Mental Capital and Wellbeing" (with Field, Goswami, Jenkins & Sahakian), Wiley-Blackwell, 2009.
"Managing Executive Health" (with Quick, Gavin and Quick), Cambridge University Press, 2008. "Happy Performing Managers" (with P. Hosie), Edward Elgar Publ, 2006. "Business and the Beautiful Game" (with T. Theobald), Kogan Page 2005 * Leadership and Management in the 21st Century: Business Challenges of the Future, Oxford University Press 2004
- The Blackwell Encyclopaedia of Management (Editor, with Associate Editors C Argyris and W H Starbuck), Blackwell 2004
- Stress: A Brief History (with P Dewe), Blackwell 2004
- International Review of Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Vols.1-19 (with I T Robertson), John Wiley and Sons, 1986-2004.
- "Managing the Emotions in Mergers and Acquisitions" (with Dr. V. Kusstascher), Edward Elgar Publ., 2005.
- Work Psychology: Understanding Human Behaviour in the Workplace (with I T Robertson, J Silvester, B Burnes, F Patterson and J Arnold, Financial Times Prentice Hall 2004
- Managing the Safety Risk of Workplace Stress (with S Clarke), Routledge 2003
- "Destressing Doctors" (with dr. V. Sutherland), Butterworth Heinemann, 2003.
- "Professor Cary Cooper". Lums.lancs.ac.uk. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- [dead link]
- Home (2012-08-17). "Business psychology company founded by Cary Cooper and Ivan Robertson, based Manchester and London, offering well-being, stress and resilience, leadership development and talent management consultancy and tools". Robertson Cooper. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- [dead link]
- "Honorary Degree for Cary Cooper". News.lancs.ac.uk. 2011-01-21. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Health | Office workers 'risk blood clots'". BBC News. 2007-03-13. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "News - Scotsman.com". News.scotsman.com. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- Matthew Saltmarsh (2007-02-26). "The Workplace: U.S.-style work stress is spreading to Europe". International Herald Tribune. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Who will replace Duncan Brown as assistant director-general at the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development? - 2/27/2007". Personnel Today. 2007-02-27. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Mourinho'S Moans Help Lift Blues - Mirror Online". Mirror.co.uk. 2007-04-27. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- Chris Bailey and Mike Whalley (2007-05-04). "Everton ready to rescue Barton | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Techworld | Actueel Technologie nieuws | Webwereld". Techworld.nl. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- Philippe Naughton Last updated at 12:59PM, August 22, 2012 (2012-03-13). "The Times | UK News, World News and Opinion". Timesonline.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- [dead link]
- "Compare the manager - are you more like Richard Branson or Delia Smith?". Hrzone.co.uk. 2010-04-19. Retrieved 2012-08-22.