Cary Safe Company
Cary Safe Company (Advertisement) for a double door Cary safe (January, 1920)
|Founder(s)||Horace D. Cary|
|Headquarters||Buffalo, New York, United States|
|Products||Safes, Locks, Bank vaults, Safe deposit boxs, Prison cells|
The company manufactured and sold bank vaults, cabinets (Safes), and Safe deposit boxs from 1878 - 1929. A majority of the safes sold by Cary had letters painted to the purchaser's request on the upper portion of the safe. Typically common was a customer’s family name or the name of a business. Every Cary safe was built fire and burglar proof. The company also manufactured intricate time locks and combination locks, (standard key) locks, and Prison cells.
Although founded in 1878, the company wasn't incorporated until 1889. Members of the old firm continued with the new company.
These members include:
|President||Horace D. Cary|
|Vice President||Edgar B. Jewett|
|Secretary||Sherman L. Cary|
|Treasurer||Albert W. Smith|
|Superintendent||J. H. Goehler|
The company also employed a number of traveling salesman around the United States.
- "Growing Great Since Seventy Eight"
- CARY SAFES "The Safe Investment"
- "Uniform Strength Throughout"
The company's headquarters, which included production and office buildings was located in a 1-1/2 acre, 3-story building, at the corner of 250-266 Chicago Street and 217 to 249 Scott Street. In the 1920s a service and sales building was opened up at 1200 Niagara Street.
- Cary Safe Company. Advertisement. Scribner's magazine, Volume 67 Jan. 1920: 88. Google Books.. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "The Glen V. Mills Directory Co Business Directory of Buffalo" The Smith-parsons Company Publishers. (1902), page 571. Retrieved 2010-7-18.
- Cary Safe Company. Advertisement. The Atlantic Monthly, Volume 127 June 1922: 710. Google Books.. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- Cary Safe Company. Advertisement. The Atlantic Monthly, Volume 127 Jan. 1921: 68. Google Books.. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- "Illustrated Buffalo" Acme Publishing Co. (1890), page 118. Retrieved 2010-7-18.