Casa de Fierro
|The Iron House|
|La Casa de Fierro (Spanish)|
|Alternative names||La Maison de Fer (French)|
|Current tenants||"The Café of the Amazon" (restaurant; first and second floors)|
|Construction started||1887 (creation in Belgium)|
|Completed||1889 (prefabrication state)|
|Inaugurated||1890 (built in Iquitos)|
|Owner||Judith Acosta Vda. De Fortes|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Gustave Eiffel[dubious ]|
|Awards and prizes||Cultural Heritage of Peru|
La Casa de Fierro (archaism, English: the Iron House, French: La Maison de Fer), located in the city of Iquitos in the jungle of Peru, in front of the major square between Próspero and Putumayo streets, is a large iron residence built during the rubber boom at the end of the nineteenth century.
La Casa de Fierro is one of the finest as well as best-preserved samples of civil architecture in Peru. The walls, ceiling, and balcony are plastered in rectangular sheets of iron. It is said to be the first prefabricated house in the Americas. Although popularly said to have been designed by the French architect Gustave Eiffel, there is no evidence that this is true; the building does not reflect his architectural style. The unsubstantiated claims say it was built in the Belgian workshops of Les Forges D´Aiseau. Rubber baron Anselmo del Aguila bought it at the International Exposition of Paris in 1889. Once dismantled, it was brought in pieces to Iquitos (the metal sheets were carried by hundreds of men through the jungle), and assembled there in 1890.
Since 1985, it is being administered by the Club Social de Iquitos; which has contributed in its restoration. Its second floor now has a restaurant.
- Practiguia Peru, First ed., pag. 261. Peru Guia S.R.L., Lima, 1994 (Spanish)
- , The New York Times, October 29, 2014.
Media related to Casa de Fierro at Wikimedia Commons
- Juegos Divertidos
- Iquitos: following the route of the rubber boom
- (French) La Casa de fierro d'Iquitos (Pérou): Une oeuvre du "magicien du fer" (Gustave Eiffel) en pleine Amazonie
- (French) La Casa de Fierro d'Iquitos (Pérou): Gustave Eiffel en pleine Amazonie
- (German) Monsieur Eiffel in the Amazonian Jungle
- Iquitos Times "Any Old Iron?"
- ikitos.com A brief history of the Iron House.