Kelly's first game in the Major Leagues in 2012.
|San Diego Padres – No. 49|
October 4, 1989 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|August 27, 2012 for the San Diego Padres|
(through 2012 season)
|Earned run average||6.21|
Casey Patrick Kelly (born October 4, 1989) is an American Major League Baseball pitcher for the San Diego Padres. He was a first round draft choice, 30th overall, in the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft by the Boston Red Sox. The top minor league prospect in the Boston Red Sox organization, he was acquired by the Padres after the 2010 season along with three other prospects in exchange for All-Star player Adrian Gonzalez.
Early baseball career
Kelly was a two-time regional player of the year as a quarterback at Sarasota High School, and he was offered a scholarship to play football for the University of Tennessee. He was also drafted in the first round, 30th overall, in the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft by the Boston Red Sox. He was drafted as a pitcher, though he wanted to play shortstop. Kelly chose baseball over football and signed with the Red Sox for a $3 million signing bonus, $700,000 more than the sixth player in the draft received.
Kelly played the first half of the 2009 season with Greenville and Salem as a pitcher. He was elected to the All-Star Futures Game. He finished the second half of season as a shortstop. On December 8, 2009, Kelly announced his decision to continue his career as a full-time pitcher. He had hit .222 while striking out 27 percent of the time, while he had a 6–1 record with a 1.12 ERA pitching.
Trade to San Diego
On December 6, 2010, Kelly was traded along with Anthony Rizzo, Reymond Fuentes, and Eric Patterson to the San Diego Padres for three-time All-Star first baseman Gonzalez. Kelly was considered the top prospect in the Red Sox organization. Entering the 2011 season, he was ranked 22 among the Top 50 Prospects by MLB.com. The Padres invited Kelly as a non-roster player to their Major League camp for 2011 Spring Training. The top prospect in the Padres' Minor League system, Kelly opened the 2011 regular season in Double-A with the San Antonio Missions.
Kelly strained his elbow in his second start for Triple-A Tucson in April 2012. He rehabilitated for 3 1⁄2 months before starting three games for San Antonio. He was promoted to the major leagues to replace the injured Jason Marquis in San Diego's starting rotation, and he made his major league debut with San Diego on August 27, 2012. Kelly earned a win after pitching six shutout innings in a 3–0 victory over the Atlanta Braves. He also recorded his first major league hit in the game. Kelly was the 15th different starting pitcher used by the Padres in 2012, which ties a club record. On March 22, 2013, Kelly was announced that he had micro tears in his UCL. He underwent Tommy John surgery on April 2 and was placed on the team's injured reserve.
- 2008 Louisville Slugger Pre-Season High School First Team All-American
- Mr. Baseball Florida 2008
- Florida 6A Player of the Year 2008
- Red Sox ML Pitcher of the Month (April 2009)
- Carolina League Player of the Week (June 1–7, 2009)
- South Atlantic League All-Star (2009)
- Futures Game All-Star (2009)
- Carolina League Player of the Week (June 22–28, 2009)
- 2009 Red Sox Minor League Pitcher of the Year
- 2010 Portland Sea Dogs Pitcher of the Year
- Norcross, Don (March 11, 2011). "Kelly and Rizzo off to impressive starts for Padres". San Diego Union-Tribune. Archived from the original on March 21, 2011.
- Benjamin, Amalie (December 8, 2009). "Sox prospect Kelly decides to focus on pitching". The Boston Globe.
- Andrews, Mike (July 22, 2010). "In Portland, Casey Kelly's making strides". ESPN.com. SoxProspects.com. Archived from the original on February 15, 2011.
- Manuel, John (July 9, 2010). "Midseason Updated Top 25 Prospects". Baseball America. Archived from the original on February 15, 2011.
- Drellich, Evan (December 6, 2010). "Gonzalez 'ready to beat the Yanks'". MLB.com. Archived from the original on February 14, 2011.
- Brock, Corey (December 16, 2010). "Patterson to Friars completes Gonzalez deal". MLB.com. Archived from the original on February 14, 2011.
- Center, Bill (December 6, 2010). "Gonzalez, Hoyer discuss Padres-Red Sox deal". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Archived from the original on February 14, 2011.
- Brock, Corey (January 25, 2011). "Kelly touted in MLB.com's Top 50 Prospects". MLB.com. Archived from the original on February 15, 2011.
- Mayo, Jonathan (January 25, 2011). "Breaking down the Top 50 Prospects list". MLB.com. Retrieved February 22, 2011.
- Brock, Corey (January 6, 2011). "Kelly, Rizzo among 20 invited to Padres camp". MLB.com. Archived from the original on February 14, 2011.
- Brock, Corey (March 25, 2011). "Kelly impressive in surprise start for Padres". MLB.com. Archived from the original on March 31, 2011.
- Center, Bill (August 27, 2012). "Kelly goes six shutout innings, wins debut". U-T San Diego. Archived from the original on August 30, 2012.
- Center, Bill (August 26, 2012). "Kelly ties Padres record as 15th starting pitcher employed". U-T San Diego. Archived from the original on August 30, 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Casey Kelly on Twitter
- Sox Prospects.com profile
- MiLB Profile