Cash America International
|Type||Public (NYSE: CSH)|
|Headquarters||Fort Worth, TX, USA|
|Area served||United States|
|Key people||Daniel R. Feehan (CEO)
(President) & (Chief Executive Officer)
|Services||pawnbroker and payday loan services|
|Operating income||US$ 149M|
|Net income||US$ 81M|
|Total assets||US$ 1,187M|
|Total equity||US$ 575M|
In addition to operating pawn shops, the company also provides check-cashing services and short-term unsecured loans (commonly referred to as "payday loans") both through its pawn shops as well as in self-standing facilities, and also on the Internet under the name "enova financial".
Company was founded by Jack Doherty in Irving, Texas in 1983 as a single pawnshop. The chain grew through rapid acquisitions finally being listed on the New York Stock Exchange in 1990 (Symbol:CSH). Starting in 1995, it started its growth in brick and mortar stores through acquisitions in Sweden and UK. In 1998, it created the Cash America franchise system. In 2003, it merged with Cashland with a combined volume of 5 billion dollars in loans. In 2004 it sold its European brick & mortar store assets and bought the last independent chain stores in United States, Super Cash. In 2006, it purchased Enova Financial (CashNetUSA) to create an internet based division. This allowed the company to enter the global markets again as they rapidly expanded their operations in UK, Australia, & Canada.
In 2008, the 500th store was opened along with expansion in Mexico with a majority stakeholder status in the second largest pawnshop chain, Prenda Fácil, in Mexico. In 2010, it acquired Maxit Financial.
As of June 30, 2014, Cash America International, Inc. operated 1,004 total locations offering specialty financial services to consumers, which included 869 lending locations in 22 states in the United States primarily under the names “Cash America Pawn,” “SuperPawn,” “Cash America Payday Advance,” and “Cashland” as well as 47 pawn lending locations in central and southern Mexico under the name “Cash America casa de empeño” and 88 check cashing centers (all of which are unconsolidated franchised check cashing centers) operating in 14 states in the United States under the name “Mr. Payroll.”
Global Brands list
- Cash America Mexico
- "Cash America Appoints Dennis J. Weese as President and Chief Operating Officer of Its Retail Services Division". CashAmerica press release via Business Wire. July 3, 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- Fuquay, Jim (July 11, 2006). "Cash America buying CashNet.". Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Fort Worth, TX). Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- "Cash America Company History.". CashAmerica.com. January 4, 2012. Retrieved 2012-01-02.
- "Cash America completes pawn shop acquisition.". The Associated Press. October 6, 2019. Retrieved 2011-01-03. Check date values in:
- [Cash America 2008 Annual Report.]
- Cash America Official website