|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
Casino Rama is a large casino, hotel and entertainment complex located on the reserve land of Chippewas of Rama First Nation, in the town of Rama, Ontario, Canada. A joint venture between First Nations, commercial operators Penn National Gaming, and the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation, it is Ontario's only First Nations "commercial casino" (as opposed to a lesser class, Charity casino) and the largest First Nations casino in Canada. The casino regularly hosts ticketed entertainment shows for an additional charge. The casino opened on July 31, 1996.
The 5,036 seat Entertainment Centre has hosted a variety of stars including Laura Pausini, Journey, Air Supply, Alice Cooper, Diana Ross, Kelly Clarkson, Creed, 3 Doors Down, Eric Burdon, The Searchers, Faith Hill, David Cook, Deep Purple, Gloria Estefan, Men at Work, Jay Leno, Jewel, Carrie Underwood, Chicago, Olivia Newton-John, Vince Gill, Tony Bennett, Bill Cosby, Styx, Michael Bolton, Ringo Starr, Neil Sedaka, Jeff Foxworthy, LeAnn Rimes, Alicia Keys, Air Supply, Art Garfunkel, Clint Black, David Copperfield, Petula Clark, Roger Hodgson, ZZ Top, Bad Company, Dolly Parton, The Guess Who, George Thorogood, Heart, Steve Miller, Tom Jones, New Kids on the Block, Smokey Robinson, Stone Temple Pilots, CCR, Air Supply, Hall & Oates, Lionel Richie, Weezer, Terra Naomi, Whitesnake and KISS.Judas Priest
Boxing and MMA
Casino Rama has hosted a number of live boxing events, titled Rumble at Rama. On April 2, 2011, Casino Rama hosted the first sanctioned MMA event ever held in Ontario, taking place a full 4 weeks before UFC 129 in Toronto. Though this event is largely believed to be the first MMA event ever held in Ontario, that is not entirely correct. The first ever MMA event held in Ontario was held in the Six Nations of the Grand River First Nation 3 years prior, where Dan Severn defeated Ian Asham, in the main event. In all 7 MMA events were staged before the first event at Casino Rama. In July 2011, it hosted a Bellator Fighting Championships event.
Ownership and operations
Facts and figures
- Casino floor size: 192,000 ft² (17,837 m²)
- Slot machines: 2500
- Table games: 110
- Restaurants: 10 (St. Germain's Steakhouse, Couchiching Court Buffet, Willow (authentic Cantonese), Legends, Dream Catcher Sports Bar, The Noodle Bar, The Weirs, Cedar and Firestarter Lounge)
- Bars: Silver Nightingale Lounge, Firestarter Lounge
- 5,000 seat Entertainment Centre
- 289 room hotel
- [dead link]
- "Ontario's First Sanctioned MMA Event Set for Saturday". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "Sellout at Ontario's first sanctioned MMA show". Tsn.ca. 2011-03-31. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "Iroquois MMA Championships Fights, Fight Cards, Videos, Pictures, Events and more". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-06-27.