Wells in 2012
November 23, 1984 |
Grand Rapids, Michigan
|May 15, 2010 for the Detroit Tigers|
|Runs batted in||81|
Wells attended Schenectady High School in Schenectady, New York and Towson University, where he played college baseball for the Towson Tigers baseball team in the Colonial Athletic Association. He is the fifth member of his family to carry the name Casper.
Wells was drafted by the Tigers in the 14th round (420th overall) of the 2005 Major League Baseball Draft. The Tigers recalled Wells on May 14, 2010, in place of pitcher Alfredo Figaro. Wells returned to Toledo on May 21 but was recalled to Detroit on August 23 in place of Enrique González.
On July 30, 2011, Wells was traded to the Seattle Mariners along with LHP Charlie Furbush, prospect Francisco Martínez and a player to be named later (Chance Ruffin) for Doug Fister and David Pauley.
Wells had early success at Seattle. He was able to put together a continuous streak of 4 games where he had a home run in each from August 13 through 16, 2011. The streak was halted when he was hit by a pitch in the nose by Brandon Morrow.
Wells was designated for assignment by the Mariners on March 31, 2013, and was claimed on waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays on April 10, 2013. Wells was activated on April 12, but was designated for assignment on April 15 without appearing in a game to make room on the 40-man roster for Ramón Ortiz.
Wells was traded to the Oakland Athletics on April 22, 2013, for cash. He was added to the 40-man and 25-man rosters when second baseman Scott Sizemore re-tore his ACL. Wells was designated for assignment on April 28 when Yoenis Céspedes returned from the disabled list. Wells had started a mere two games for the Athletics, one in left field and one as the designated hitter.
Chicago White Sox
On August 24, 2013, after starting the night in right field, Wells pitched in the 18th inning of a game against the Arizona Diamondbacks, making him a position player to have pitched in both leagues in the same year. He became the losing pitcher, and was tabbed with a 27.08 ERA after giving up 5 runs to the Diamondbacks. Wells was also 0-for-7 batting that night.
Wells was outrighted off the roster on October 16, 2013.
Wells signed a minor league deal with the Chicago Cubs on November 20, 2013. On May 19, 2014, Wells joined the team's AAA-level Iowa Cubs farm team from extended spring training. On June 25, 2014, Iowa released Wells.
Return to Detroit
On February 21, 2015, the Detroit Tigers signed Wells to a minor league contract.
- "Casper Wells Stats, Bio, Photos, Highlights". MLB.com. Retrieved July 31, 2011.
- Miller, Mike. "Former Towson star returns to Baltimore with Detroit," The Baltimore Sun, Saturday, October 2, 2010.
- Iott, Chris (May 15, 2010). "Casper Wells to make major-league debut for Tigers tonight against Boston". Mlive.com. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- Henning, Lynn (May 22, 2010). "Casper Wells sent down, Tigers recall Ryan Raburn". Detroit News. Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- Jahnke, James (August 23, 2010). [http://www.freep.com/article/20100823/SPORTS02/100823032/1433/Tigers-call-up-Casper- Wells-demote-Gonzalez "Tigers call up Casper Wells; demote Enrique Gonzalez"]. Retrieved August 23, 2010.[dead link]
- Griffin, Richard (April 10, 2013). "Blue Jays claim outfielder Casper Wells from Mariners". TheStar.com. Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- "Casper Wells Designated For Assignment Without Appearing in a Game, Ramon Ortiz Joins Blue Jays". BlueBirdBanter.com. April 15, 2013. Retrieved April 15, 2013.
- "A's acquire OF Casper Wells". April 22, 2013. Retrieved April 22, 2013.
- "A's Yoenis Cespedes back from disabled list". April 28, 2013. Retrieved April 28, 2013.
- "Casper Wells Statistics and History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 30 July 2013.
- http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130429&content_id=46162504&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws White Sox acquire Wells
- "MLB: Strange but True 2013".
- Iseman, Chris (August 26, 2013). "Vision issue lands Phils' Wells on disabled list". MLB. Retrieved August 26, 2013.
- Beck, Jason (February 21, 2015). "Tigers bring Wells back on Minor League deal". MLB. Retrieved February 21, 2015.