Cass County, Minnesota
|Cass County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Minnesota's location in the U.S.
|Founded||September 1, 1851|
|Named for||Lewis Cass|
|Largest cities||East Gull Lake
|• Total||2,414.21 sq mi (6,253 km2)|
|• Land||2,017.60 sq mi (5,226 km2)|
|• Water||396.61 sq mi (1,027 km2), 16.43%|
|• Density||14/sq mi (5/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Cass County is a county located in the U.S. state of Minnesota. As of the 2010 census, the population was 28,567. Its county seat is Walker. A substantial portion of the Leech Lake Indian Reservation is in the county.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 2,414.21 square miles (6,252.8 km2), of which 2,017.60 square miles (5,225.6 km2) (or 83.57%) is land and 396.61 square miles (1,027.2 km2) (or 16.43%) is water.Native vegetation based on NRCS soils information shows:
- Itasca County (northeast)
- Aitkin County (southeast)
- Crow Wing County (southeast, south)
- Morrison County (south)
- Todd County (southwest)
- Wadena County (west,southwest)
- Hubbard County (northwest)
- Beltrami County (northwest)
National protected area
- Chippewa National Forest (part)
Cass County was created on September 1, 1851 by the legislature of the Minnesota Territory. It was not formally organized until 1897. Cass County was formed from portions of Dakota, Mahkatah, Pembina and Wahnata Counties. The county was named in honor of Lewis Cass. In turn, before formal organization, land from Cass County was split off to form other of the surrounding counties.
As of the census of 2000, there were 27,150 people, 10,893 households, and 7,734 families residing in the county. The population density was 14 people per square mile (5/km²). There were 21,286 housing units at an average density of 11 per square mile (4/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 86.52% White, 0.11% Black or African American, 11.45% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.14% from other races, and 1.47% from two or more races. 0.81% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 28.2% were of German, 15.0% Norwegian, 7.3% Swedish, 6.1% Irish and 6.1% American ancestry.
There were 10,893 households out of which 27.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.40% were married couples living together, 8.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.00% were non-families. 25.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 2.90.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.00% under the age of 18, 6.10% from 18 to 24, 23.00% from 25 to 44, 27.90% from 45 to 64, and 18.00% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 101.90 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.60 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $34,332, and the median income for a family was $40,156. Males had a median income of $30,097 versus $21,232 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,189. About 9.50% of families and 13.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.20% of those under age 18 and 13.30% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
† Only a small part of Motley is in Cass County.
Climate and weather
|Climate chart (explanation)|
In recent years, average temperatures in the county seat of Walker have ranged from a low of 0 °F (−18 °C) in January to a high of 79 °F (26 °C) in July, although a record low of −44 °F (−42 °C) was recorded in February 1996 and a record high of 103 °F (39 °C) was recorded in August 1976. Average monthly precipitation ranged from 0.62 inches (16 mm) in February to 4.11 inches (104 mm) in July.
- "Minnesota Place Names". Minnesota Historical Society. Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2010 Gazetteer Files". Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- Nelson, Steven (2011). Savanna Soils of Minnesota. Minnesota: Self. pp. 53 - 56. ISBN 978-0-615-50320-2.
- Upham, Warren. "Cass County" in Minnesota Place Names: A Geographical Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition.. Minnesota Historical Society Press (St. Paul, 2001) ISBN 0-87351-396-7.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Monthly Averages for Walker, Minnesota". The Weather Channel. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- Cass County government's website
- Minnesota Department of Transportation map of Cass County (southern portion, west central portion, east central portion, northern portion)
||Hubbard County and Beltrami County||Itasca County|
|Todd County and Wadena County||Crow Wing County and Morrison County||Aitkin County and Crow Wing County|