Location of Cassoday, Kansas
Detailed map of Cassoday, Kansas
|• Total||0.39 sq mi (1.01 km2)|
|• Land||0.39 sq mi (1.01 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,473 ft (449 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||128|
|• Density||330.8/sq mi (127.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0478041|
The first post office was in Cassoday was established on July 9, 1906.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Cassoday has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- Cassoday Bike Run, First Sunday of every month March through November. As many as 5000 bikers meet in what’s become a summer tradition for motorcycle enthusiasts.
- Cassoday Historical Museum. It is located in the former railroad depot.
As of the census of 2010, there were 129 people, 55 households, and 36 families residing in the city. The population density was 330.8 inhabitants per square mile (127.7 /km2). There were 70 housing units at an average density of 179.5 per square mile (69.3 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 95.3% White, 1.6% African American, 0.8% Asian, 0.8% Pacific Islander, and 1.6% from two or more races.
There were 55 households of which 34.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.1% were married couples living together, 5.5% had a female householder with no husband present, 10.9% had a male householder with no wife present, and 34.5% were non-families. 30.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.35 and the average family size was 2.94.
The median age in the city was 42.8 years. 27.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.1% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 17.9% were from 25 to 44; 29.6% were from 45 to 64; and 17.8% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 51.2% male and 48.8% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 130 people, 54 households, and 36 families residing in the city. The population density was 393.4 people per square mile (152.1/km²). There were 57 housing units at an average density of 172.5 per square mile (66.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 100.00% White. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.85% of the population.
There were 54 households out of which 25.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.3% were married couples living together, 7.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.5% were non-families. 29.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.41 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.2% under the age of 18, 5.4% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 21.5% from 45 to 64, and 20.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 78.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $41,250, and the median income for a family was $49,688. Males had a median income of $31,875 versus $30,833 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,807. There were 5.1% of families and 7.8% of the population living below the poverty line, including 19.0% of under eighteens and none of those over 64.
The Cassoday government consists of a mayor and five council members. The council meets the 2nd Wednesday of each month at 7:30PM.
- City Hall, 133 S Washington.
- El Dorado Times, regional newspaper in El Dorado.
- The Wichita Eagle, major regional newspaper in Wichita.
- Landline is provided by Wheat State Telephone.
- Gas is provided by City of Cassoday.
- Water is provided by City of Cassoday.
- City is provided by City of Cassoday.
- Rural is provided by Butler County RWD #3.
- Sewer is provided by City of Cassoday.
- Trash is provided by City of Cassoday.
- Fox Lake rural utilities: water, sewer, and gas provided by City of Cassoday.
- Sycamore Township, Butler County, Kansas (location of Cassoday)
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- City of Cassoday
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
- Heim, Michael (2007). Exploring Kansas Highways. p. 12.
- "Kansas Post Offices, 1828-1961 (archived)". Kansas Historical Society. Retrieved 5 June 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Cassoday, Kansas
- Cassoday Bike Run 1
- Cassoday Bike Run 2
- Cassoday Bike Run 3
- Cassoday - Directory of Public Officials
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cassoday, Kansas.|
- USD 492, local school district
- Cassoday, A "Quiet" town of Butler County, Kansas, History and photographs.