Castle Story logo as shown on Sauropod Studio's website.
|Composer(s)||Mattias Häggström Gerdt
In Castle Story, the player is in control of workers called "Bricktrons" which can be directed to gather resources, build castles and fight enemies. The aim is to build a castle that can withstand attacks from creatures and other players. The game takes place on massive floating islands. The Unity game engine contains a physics engine that allows fully modelled destruction.
An eleven minute demonstration was released by Sauropod Studio on 24 December 2011. The video revealed the basic design of the game, featuring the yellow "bricktrons" building a castle and mining. The video's end had the developers exploding a castle in order to highlight the use of the Unity game engine.
A five minute timelapse video was released on 6 February 2012.
On July 27, 2012, Sauropod Studio began a Kickstarter project with the aim of raising money for the developers and gauging interest in the game. It reached its $80,000 target within five hours, and by the end of the funding period had raised over $700,000 - almost 9 times the goal for the project.
A prototype of the game was released on October 17, 2012, as stated in Sauropod Studio's Blogs. The prototype release was only available to people who pledged $25.00 or more to the kick starter program; currently the "Kickstarter" program has now ended and the prototype release is not for sale.
The prototype version was made available to "Beta-level" backers, or those who pledged at least $15.00 on the week of March 10th, 2013. The developers stated that this decision was made to satisfy those who pledged to get the Beta considering meeting their original estimates for the release of the beta would be unrealistic.
See also 
- "Dev diary number four". Sauropod Studio. 10 March 2012. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- Harmon, Josh (4 January 2012). "Castle Story Is Minecraft Meets RTS". Gameranx. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- "FAQ - Sauropod Studio homepage". Sauropod Studio. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- Beaton, Connor (5 January 2012). "Castle Story: 2012’s Minecraft Killer?". zConnection International. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- Sharkey, Mike (5 January 2012). "One to Watch For: Sauropod's Castle Story". GameSpy. IGN Entertainment. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- "Sauropod Studio homepage". Sauropod Studio. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- Plunkett, Luke (5 January 2012). "PC Gamers, Remember the Name Castle Story". Kotaku. Gawker Media. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- "January 31 - DemoNight!". International Game Developers Association. Retrieved 5 February 2012.
- "Castle Story Timelapse - YouTube". Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- "Castle Story by Sauropod Studio — Kickstarter". Retrieved 26 August 2012.
- Couet, Germain. "Your weekly dose of info: Our plans for the future". Sauropod Studios Blog. Sauropod Studios. Retrieved 11 April 2013.