Castles N' Coasters
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2010)|
|Slogan||Arizona's Finest Family Fun and Thrill Park|
|Location||Phoenix, Arizona, USA|
|Operating season||All year|
Castles N' Coasters is an amusement park and family amusement center located in Phoenix, Arizona. The approximately 10-acre (40,000 m2) park features four outdoor 18-hole miniature golf courses, several rides, and an indoor video game arcade. The park was built in 1980, and is designed in a Middle-Eastern motif though other eras are featured such as the Wild West-themed miniature golf course and log flume ride.
Other attractions includes a go-kart track, bumper cars, bumper boats, 2 roller coasters called Patriot and Desert Storm, some thrill rides including Magic Carpet, Sea Dragon, Free Fall and Sky Diver drop rides, and a log flume called Splashdown.
On May 1, 2005, eleven people were left stranded for nearly three hours after a free fall ride malfunctioned. Reports indicate that the floorless, four-sided passenger cabin jerked as it ascended the tower. The cabin, guided by cables, normally drops to the bottom of the 120-foot-tall tower and comes to a stop, however when it reached the halfway point on its ascent, it made loud screeching noises and came to a sudden halt. It took firefighters nearly three hours to rescue the riders, who were locked in their seats about 30 feet above the ground.
The park's manager says that the ride will be closed until investigators determine what caused the malfunction.
"We don't know what happened," he said.
In 1976, the entertainment park originally opened under the name "Golf n' Stuff". It later turned into "Castles N' Coasters" in 1992 after adding its Ride Park.
Rides and attractions
- Desert Storm is a looping roller coaster that uses a simple lap bar restraint. It is one of the park's main attractions and has two loops. Manufactured by, Hopkins.
- Patriot is a mild roller coaster that is colored red, white and blue as its name suggests. It is centered around a large American flag and does two circuits. Manufactured by, Hopkins.
- Splashdown is a popular log flume. It features a logging town, tunnel, waterfalls, fountains, squirting African Elephant statues, native huts, and two large drops.
- Sky Diver is a 120 foot tall free-fall drop tower.
- Free Fall is a smaller version of Sky Diver (above).
- Sea Dragon is a large swinging Viking ship. Manufactured by, Chance.
- Ram Rods are bumper cars.
- Magic Carpet is a music express. It goes through "Aladdin's Castle" and goes forward and backward.
- Li'l Indy is a go-cart track that passes under the Desert Storm roller coaster (above).
- Bumper Boats
- Flying Bugs & Spinning Tops are kiddie rides located near the queue line for Desert Storm (above).
- Dixie Jr. Wheel is a miniature Ferris wheel.
- Miniature Golf features four courses. Each have trick shots, multiple themes, and many water features.
- Castles N' Coasters Official Website
- Castles N' Coasters at the Roller Coaster DataBase
- Details with images
|This article about an amusement park is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|