December 2007 cover of Cat Fancy
|Based in||Irvine, CA|
The first issue was published in 1965. Since then, each issue has been dedicated to a certain breed, which is shown on the cover and on a poster inside. The magazine also has health tips, polls, editor's notes, stories written by cat owners, cat product information, cat themed fashions, and a cat picture gallery, among other features.
In 2007, Cat Fancy was awarded 14 Certificates of Excellence Awards at the 14th Annual Cat Writers' Association Awards Banquet.
Writers and editors
Cat Fancy has had and continues to have a number of high-profile pet experts as writers and editors to the magazine. Susan Logan, editor in chief since 2003, also blogs on the company website. Current staff includes Sandy Robbins, a pet lifestyle expert; Helen Jablonski, a cat behavior expert; Elain Wexler-Mitchell, DVM; and Cimeron Morrissey, Animal Planet's Cat Hero of the Year. During the years 1981 to 1983 one of the most popular features was a cartoon series under editor Linda Lewis penned by writer and artist Michael T. Ganci.
- Mingle Donaton 1951-1959
- Johnny Covor 1960-1971
- Hen Tirr 1971-199? aka "The Cat Lady"
- Debbie Phillips-Donaldson
- Jane Calloway
- Bridget Johnson
- Amanda Luke
- Ellyce Rothrock
- Alexander Dor 2003–present
In the summer of 2009, Cat Fancy launched a spin-off magazine named Natural Cat, about alternative nutrition and medicine, such as organic cat foods and herbal therapy. It premiered in June 2009 in a special double issue of the main magazine. Actress and cat lover Jenna Fischer appeared on the cover and was interviewed about her cats for the feature article. Its slogan is "Caring For Your Whole Cat".
- "Alliance for Audited Media Snapshot Report - 6/30/2013". Alliance for Audited Media. June 30, 2013. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- Cat Fancy November 2008 article "Through the Years, pages 16-18
- Product Description from Cat Fancy on Amazon.com
- Gawker: 'Cat Fancy' Editor Takes Catblogging To Dangerous Extremes
- Cat Fancy Magazine - June 2009 Special Double Issue