Cat Royal (series)
|Author||Julia Golding from the Uk|
|Country||United Kingdom, United States|
|Genre||Children's, Historical fiction|
|Published||2006 to present|
|Media type||Print (hardcover)|
Cat Royal is a series of 7 historical fiction books by Julia Golding, the British novelist. The main character of the series is an orphan named Catherine ("Cat") Royal. The series are set in 18th Century London where Cat lives in the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane. The main themes are slavery and equality between people from all races and social classes. Originally, the books had illustrated covers, but these were later replaced with photographic covers, with a model representing the protagonist, Cat Royal.
- Catherine "Cat" Royal: An orphan left on the steps of Drury Lane theater. She was taken in by Mr Sheridan, the theater owner. Cat is very strong-willed, independent and funny. She hates it when she is looked down upon for being a waif, and she wants to be in Syd's gang but has never been allowed because Syd has romantic feelings for her, and doesn't want to see her as 'one of the lads.' She is an aspiring novelist and loves acting and living in the theater.
- Frank Avon/ Lord Francis: Mischievous friend of Cat. Member of The Butcher's Boys, Syd's gang. Heir to a dukedom.
- Billy "Boil" Shepherd: A recurring antagonist, the leader of a rival gang to Syd's. Billy has a particular obsession with Cat and a desire to both kill and possess her, mind, body and soul. He has poor taste and is 'moving up the ladder'. Because of his newfound wealth he collects jewels.Hints an having romantic feelings towards Cat and kisses her in Cat o' Nine Tails.
- Syd Fletcher/Bow Street Butcher: Cat's oldest and most loyal friend in Covent Garden. Syd is a boxer and leader of the Butcher's Boys, a Covent Garden gang. He is in love with Cat, he is planning a life for them together, although Cat is not so sure about this. Syd often threatens violence against any person who has frightened/hurt/affected Cat in a negative way, something that Cat finds sweet but distressing.
- Lizzie Avon/ Lady Elizabeth: Johnny's sweetheart and now wife. Lizzie is a loyal friend to Cat. Like her brother Frank.
- Johnny Smith/Fitzroy/ Lord Jonathan Fitzroy/ Captain Sparkler: The prompt at Theatre Royal until he leaves on exile to America. he has a secret profession as the rebel cartoonist Captain Sparkler.
- Pedro: One of Cat's close friends, an African former slave and talented musician, also a member of Syd's gang. Pedro is very proud about his talent.
- Mr Sheridan: Cat's patron and owner of Drury Lane Theater
- Signor Angelini: Conductor of the theater orchestra, and very passionate about music, especially his apprentice Pedro.
- Duke of Avon: Frank and Lizzie's father and duke of Avon.
- Duchess of Avon/The Bristol Nightingale: Wife of the duke, and a retired singer. The Duchess is very informal and friendly to all.
- Joseph: Frank's footman and friend to Cat.
- Nick: Syd's right hand man and assistant leader of the butcher's boys.
- Joe: A member of Syds gang. Also street card sharp.
- Meat Pie Matt: Member of Billy's gang.
- Ferret Face: Another member of Billy's gang.
- Charles Hengrave: Franks friend.
- Lord Fitzroy: Johnny's father, helps Cat out a difficult situation.
- Mrs. Reid: Former head of wardrobe department in theater, strict but loving motherly figure towards cat