The Main Page of the Catalan Wikipedia.
|Type of site||Internet encyclopedia project|
|Launched||16 March 2001|
The Catalan Wikipedia (Catalan: Viquipèdia) is the Catalan language edition of Wikipedia. Founded on 16 March 2001 and reaching 200,000 articles by September 2009, it contains about 417,000 articles, with 1432 active users as of December 2013. It was created just a few minutes after the first non-English Wikipedia, the German version. Despite being created after the German Wikipedia, for about two months it was the only non-English Wikipedia that contained articles. As of mid-2008, the Catalan Wikipedia is by far the largest edition in a regional language (albeit it is the national language of Andorra), a language with relatively few speakers that has a huge presence on the Internet.
On March 16, 2001, Jimmy Wales announced that he wanted to create Wikipedias in other languages and mentioned that there was interest in creating a Catalan version. The first tests were made on the deutsche.wikipedia.com, and a few minutes later, the Catalan Wikipedia was created in the catalan.wikipedia.com domain.
The first edit on a non-English Wikipedia was at 21:07 UTC, March 16, 2001, made to the Catalan Main Page. The first contribution in a non-English article dates from March 17 at 01:41 UTC in the article ca:Àbac.
After some time, the domain changed to ca.wikipedia.com and later to ca.wikipedia.org. About 2003 its community started to use the name "Viquipèdia" when talking about this edition of Wikipedia. Nowadays this word is used in Catalan language to refer the whole Wikipedia. About 2005 the domain www.viquipedia.net was registered and it redirects to ca.wikipedia.org. In 2007 www.viquipedia.cat was also registered and redirected.
The first registered user was probably AstroNomer, presumably used only to make some registration tests, but the first registered user to make lasting contributions was Cdani, the same user cited in Jimbo Wales' message.
In 2005 the Catalan Wikipedia community debated on which name(s) of the Catalan language to present in the main page and other policy pages, either català, "Catalan", valencià, "Valencian", or a combination of both català-valencià and català o valencià. Although there was not a consensus on any of the proposals, users agreed that in articles relevant to the Valencian Community, the name "Valencian" was to be used; on all other articles "Catalan" is preferred. The main page avoids making reference to a particular nomenclature, by simply stating aquesta versió, "this version".
Milestones and historical main pages
|1 article||March 17, 2001||Àbac (Abacus)|
|10,000 articles||November 16, 2004||Unknown|
|20,000 articles||November 19, 2005||Diputat (Member of Parliament)|
|30,000 articles||May 6, 2006||Lunitari (Lunitari)|
|40,000 articles||September 20, 2006||Enginyeria d'aliments (Food engineering)|
|50,000 articles||January 4, 2007||Puerto Real (Puerto Real)|
|75,000 articles||August 31, 2007||Eutidem (filòsof) (Euthydemos)|
|100,000 articles||January 18, 2008||Arrel cúbica (Cubic root)|
|125,000 articles||August 12, 2008||Llúdria gegant (Giant Otter)|
|150,000 articles||December 28, 2008||Guerra dels Ossos (Bone Wars)|
|175,000 articles||May 7, 2009||Spilocuscus (Spilocuscus)|
|200,000 articles||September 21, 2009||Carnaval de Solsona (Solsona Carnival)|
|250,000 articles||June 29, 2010||Mare de Déu del Claustre (Mare de Déu del Claustre)|
|300,000 articles||December 21, 2010||Pastítsio (Pastitsio)|
|400,000 articles||April 12, 2013||Heli-4 (Helium-4)|
Evolution of the number of articles
- "Viquipèdia:Vint mil articles en català". Wikipedia (in Catalan). Wikimedia Foundation. 2005-12-06. Retrieved 2006-06-24.
- "La Wikipedia catalana ad Alghero" (in Italian). Alger.it. 2009-11-26. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- Multilingual monthly statistics
- List of Wikipedias - Meta
- A Dalby (2007), "Wikipedia(s) on the language map of the world", English Today (Cambridge Univ Press)
- (Catalan) Jordi Aguilera i Antonio Novella, El català, un exemple d'èxit a Internet Espai Internet - 3cat24.cat
- Jimbo Wales' message about creating first foreign Wikipedias
- Message confirming the creation of the German domain
- First history of the Catalan Wikipedia Main Page, hours in Pacific Timezone
- First edit in a non-English article (Àbac)
- See debate in the decision making process about usage of the names of the language
- 10,000 articles
- 20,000 articles
- 50,000 articles
- Technically, Lesbianisme was article 50,000; nevertheless, it was shortly after merged with Lesbiana according to the project guidelines.
- 75,000 articles
- 100,000 articles
- ca:200.000 articles en català
- La Viquipedia en català que ja té 200000 entrades, segona en la classificació de qualitat 3cat24.cat, TV3 news portal.
- Viquipèdia 200000 i creixent TV3, self service video survey.
- La viquipèdia en català arriba als 200.000 articles, Tribuna de Mallorca, 21-9-2009.
|Catalan edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
- (Catalan) Catalan Wikipedia
- (Catalan) Catalan Wikipedia mobile version
- (Catalan) Internet Archive - Catalan Wikipedia main page, 27 March 2001.