Catalepsy was founded in 2004. Rob Walden is the only founding member still with the band. In 2008, the band finished a tour with Hatebreed for their Live Dominance DVD release. They completed their first studio album, Iniquity, in January 2008. The album was released on May 13, 2008. In early 2008, the band recorded a music video for their song "Trust". It premiered on MTV's Headbangers Ball. In late 2008, Drew Carothers left the band due to personal issues. He was replaced with Josh Anderson of the Florida band Iamdivide. The band continued to tour, with such bands as After the Burial, Oceano, Too Pure to Die, Waking the Cadaver, Rose Funeral and many others.
In October 2010, during the recording of Bleed, Josh Anderson left the band. He was replaced by Rick Norman, formerly of the band In The Ruins, also a past member of Catalepsy. On December 3, 2010, the band released the first single from Bleed called "Infernal". On February 26, 2011, the band announced a music video for the track "Bleed" due in the album release of May 10, 2011. Bleed was released in May 10, 2011 through Eulogy Recordings.
In late 2011, vocalist Rick Norman left the band due to personal reasons and was replaced by former vocalist Josh Anderson. On December 28, 2011, the band released a new song off of their upcoming album Abomination of Desolation titled "Westboro", a reference to the Westboro Baptist Church, which is the main subject of the song's lyrics. The new material demonstrates somewhat of a return to their death metal-oriented sound as heard in Iniquity and Godless while still maintaining the groove-oriented sound of Bleed.
In January 2012, Catalepsy released a remix of a new Catalepsy teaser under the band name Exotype. It was proclaimed by Catalepsy/Exotype that "THE FUTURE OF HEAVY MUSIC IS UPON US...2012". Exotype fuses elements of metal, hardcore, dubstep, and electronica.
As of 2013, Catalepsy have officially disbanded to focus on Exotype and other project's.
- Final lineup
- Josh Anderson - vocals (2008-2010, 2011-2012)
- Matt Sutton - guitar (2008-2012)
- Rob Walden - guitar (2004-2012)
- Matt Browning - guitar (2011-2012)
- Ben Sutton - drums (2007-2012)
- Sean Murphy - bass (2011-2012)
- Former members
- Rick Norman – vocals (2010-2011)
- Drew Carothers – vocals (2007-2008, 2010)
- Rob Conover – vocals (2008-2009)
- Benjamin Tucker – vocals
- Nancy Crozier – vocals
- Charles Nikolet – drums
- Justin Grimes – drums
- Mike Burns - drums(2010) (deceased 2013)
- Danny Schwartz – bass (2007)
- Craig O'Reilly III - bass
- Pat Chummly – bass
- Mike Meeks – bass
- Tim Smith - bass
- Matt Selovers – guitar (2004-2005)
- John Stephan – guitar (2007-2008)
- Mike Cromwell - guitar (2006-2007)
- Iniquity (2008)
- Bleed (2011)
- Abomination of Desolation (2012)
- Godless (2007)
- Hallowed Be Thy Grave (2005)
- Decapitation of Eros (2005)
- "Trust" (2008)
- "Bleed" (2011)