|This article relies on references to primary sources. (July 2011)|
|Artistic director(s)||Jonathan Christenson|
Catalyst Theatre is a theatre company in Edmonton founded in 1977. Catalyst Theatre creates and tours new work developed under Artistic Director Jonathan Christenson in collaboration with Resident Designer Bretta Gerecke. Since 1997, Catalyst’s artistic team has created original productions that have toured the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and the United States.
Catalyst operates from its own venue, a converted warehouse in Edmonton’s Old Strathcona district, which can seat 140 people. The building, dubbed C103, acts as the home of Catalyst's administrative offices and rehearsal hall, but is typically used by the Edmonton theatre community's thriving independent theatre scene.
Catalyst has received 25 Sterling Awards for its productions of The House of Pootsie Plunket, Songs for Sinners, Elephant Wake, Fusion 2001, The Blue Orphan, Carmen Angel, Frankenstein and Nevermore, and Hunchback. In 2012, Catalyst produced Whisper in association with Studio Theatre at the University of Alberta, which was performed by the school's BFA Acting class of 2012. In the spring of 2013 Catalyst produced another new work called "The Soul Collector" which ran at the Westbury Theatre. Mostly recently, Catalyst's newest work, Vigilante, played at Keyano Theatre in Fort McMurray in November/December 2013. Inspired by the story of the Donnelly family,Vigilante is slated to play in Edmonton during the 2014/2015 season.
Unless otherwise indicated, all Catalyst productions were directed, written and composed by Jonathan Christenson and designed by Bretta Gerecke.
- Vigilante (2013) Conceived by Jonathan Christenson
- The Soul Collector(2013)
- Whisper (2012)
- Hunchback (2011)
- Nevermore (2008)
- Frankenstein (2007) Adapted by Jonathan Christenson.
- Sticky Shoes (2005) Created by Jonathan Christenson and Bretta Gerecke.
- Love + Love (2004) Created by Jonathan Christenson, Annie Dugan, Bretta Gerecke, and John Ullyatt.
- Carment Angel (2003) Written by Joey Tremblay, composed by Jonathan Christenson.
- Dream Life (2003) Written by Chris Craddock, composed by Jonathan Christenson.
- The Blue Orphan (2001) Written by Jonathan Christenson and Joey Tremblay, composed by Jonathan Christenson.
- The House of Pootsie Plunket (1999) Written and directed by Joey Tremblay and Jonathan Christenson, composed by Jonathan Christenson.
- Songs for Sinners (1998) Written and directed by Joey Tremblay and Jonathan Christenson, composed by Paul Morgan Donald, Jonathan Christenson, and Joey Tremblay
- Abundance (1997) Written and directed by Joey Tremblay, Jonathan Christenson, and company.
- Electra (1996) Written and directed by Joey Tremblay and Jonathan Christenson.
- Elephant Wake (1996) Written by Joey Tremblay and Jonathan Christenson.
- My Perfect Heaven (1996) Written by Joey Tremblay and Jonathan Christenson, composed by Jonathan Christenson.
Board of Directors
Catalyst's Board of Directors consists of:
- Janine Andrews (Chair)
- Eva Cairns
- Jonathan Christenson
- Leo Lejeune
- Rena Liviniuk
- Liz Lepper
- Rob Dunseith
- Zack Siezmagraff
- Sue Quon
|This theatre-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|