Catanzaro railway station
View of the station platforms
|Location||Viale della Stazione
Rione Sala - 88100 Catanzaro
Catanzaro, Catanzaro, Calabria
|Operated by||Rete Ferroviaria Italiana|
|Line(s)||Lamezia-Catanzaro Lido (FS)
Cosenza-Catanzaro Lido (FC)
|Platforms||2 (per 3 tracks, FS Side)
2 (per 3 tracks, FC side)
|Opened||31 July 1899|
|Closed||15 June 2008(old FS station)|
|Rebuilt||15 June 2008(new FS station)|
Location within Calabria
Owned by the Ferrovie dello Stato it is one of the main stations of the city along with Catanzaro Lido. In 2008 a new Catanzaro station, colloquially known as Catanzaro Germaneto, has been inaugurated in the suburban quarter of Germaneto on a new bypass of FS line. Due for this reason the old station was closed for FS services, but not for the suburban railway owned by FC.
The station was opened on July 31, 1899 as part of a line that linked the centre of the city to the Jonian (serving Catanzaro Lido) and the Tyrrhenian (serving Lamezia Terme Centrale) lines. On July 10, 1933 it was inaugurated the adjacent Catanzaro Sala station, owned by the Ferrovie della Calabria (FC) and part of the Cosenza-Catanzaro Lido line.
In 1998 it was re-opened a funicular built in 1910 and operating still 1954. The funicular was built to link the central station to the city centre crossing the height difference (154.60 m). Few years later funicular's re-opening it started operating a suburban rail service on the FC line, colloquially named Metropolitana di Catanzaro (Catanzaro Subway), also due to the elevated number of train stops in the city.
After the closure in 2008 the FS station was abandoned. Some projects, as the one to use the old line to Lido, have been considered. In latest 2009 it was announced a project, named "Pendolo", to link it to the new Germaneto station with a furure line. This project has been considered as a possibility to the new station to have a link to the hub of the suburban rail service; and this new junction may be part of it as a second line.
The new railway station, located in the south-western suburb of the city (Coordinates: ) and 6 km far from the old and homonymous one, was opened on June 15, 2008. Located on a bypass of the Lamezia Terme-Catanzaro Lido line (from Marcellinara to Catanzaro Lido ), built in early 2000s to avoid the curves and the tunnels of the old and partly decaying route, it has replaced the historical central station. The new train stop, officially named Catanzaro but commonly Catanzaro Germaneto to distinguish it from the old structures, serves the government offices of the region and the campus of the Magna Græcia University, located not too far from it.
Germaneto has a modern one-floor station building and counts 2 platforms used by 3 tracks . The new line is not electrified as the old one but a project to electrify it has been considered.
The station counts a large two-floors building and, close to the structure, it is located the depot building. It counts 2 covered platforms used by 3 tracks, and other three were used by goods wagons. The railway line is not electrified and the track gauge is 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in). Due to the abandon after 2008 the station's structures are partly decaying. In front of it is located the building of Sala FC station, the one still operating. The building is closed and has no services. The FC station counts 2 little platforms used by 3 tracks. The line is not electrified and the track gauge is 950 mm (3 ft 1 3⁄8 in) narrow gauge.
- Ferrovie dello Stato (FS): After 2008 closure there are no train services in the historical station, moved to Germaneto. It counts several regional trains to Lamezia Terme, Catanzaro Lido and some to Reggio Calabria Centrale, Locri and Rosarno. For long distance transport it counts some InterCity and Express trains to Rome, Turin and Milan, linking it also with Genoa, Naples, Bologna, Florence, Pisa and other cities.
- Ferrovie della Calabria (FC): The station is served by the suburban rail. The trains runs each 20–30 minutes between Catanzaro Città (CZ City) and Catanzaro Lido. Before the opening of this service the station was served by some regional trains to Cosenza, now ending at Catanzaro Città. Also the funicular service is owned by the FC.
- Catanzaro Lido railway station
- Catanzaro Città railway station
- List of railway stations in Calabria
- History of rail transport in Italy
- Rail transport in Italy
- Railway stations in Italy
- (Italian) Document about the bypass line of Catanzaro
- (Italian) Infos on Ferrovie della Calabria website
- (Italian) Article and infos on Catanzaro municipal website
- (Italian) Announcement of FC official site (see the section "09 ottobre 2009")
- (Italian) Article about the "Pendolo" on "Metropolitana di Catanzaro" website
- Searched on Google: A map of the possible extension of the suburban railway
- (Italian) See also: it:Stazione di Catanzaro
- (Italian) Article and picture about the new station
- Searched on Google: A pair of pictures of the new station. Building and platforms
- (Italian) Timetable of the suburban railway on Catanzaro municipal website
Media related to Catanzaro railway station at Wikimedia Commons