Catawba, North Carolina
|Catawba, North Carolina|
Location of Catawba, North Carolina
|• Total||2.3 sq mi (6.1 km2)|
|• Land||2.3 sq mi (5.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||886 ft (270 m)|
|• Density||262.6/sq mi (117.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1019559|
Catawba is a town in Catawba County, North Carolina, United States. The population was 604 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Hickory–Lenoir–Morganton Metropolitan Statistical Area. As with the county, the name recalls the Catawba tribe of Native Americans, who once inhabited the area.
Catawba is located at .(35.709853, -81.075734)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.3 square miles (6.0 km2), of which, 2.3 square miles (6.0 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (2.56%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 604 people, 270 households, and 208 families residing in the town. The population density was 262.6 people per square mile (117.7/km²). There were 285 housing units at an average density of 124.7 per square mile (48.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 65.90% White, 30.37% African American, 1.00% Asian, 2.15% from other races, and 0.57% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.59% of the population.
There were 270 households out of which 25.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.6% were married couples living together, 17.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.6% were non-families. 18.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the town the population was spread out with 22.9% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 29.4% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 17.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 83.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $42,031, and the median income for a family was $42,083. Males had a median income of $33,750 versus $21,645 for females. The per capita income for the town was $20,933. About 8.2% of families and 9.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.6% of those under age 18 and 16.4% of those age 65 or over.
- Shane Burton,Former Tennessee Volunteer football,Carolina Panther (2002-2003)
- Bobby Isaac, 1970 NASCAR Winston Cup Series champion
- David "Tex" Little, one of the last surviving World War I-era veterans
- Bobby Lutz, former Head Men's Basketball Coach at UNC-Charlotte
- Jeremy Mayfield, Suspended NASCAR Driver
- Lewis Woods Jr., Civil Rights Act
- The Claremont Courier, free monthly publication dedicated to bring good positive news to the area.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.