|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Application software.|
(1) Application software is the general designation of computer programs for performing user tasks. Application software may have a general purpose (word processing, web browsers) or have a specific purpose (accounting, truck scheduling). Application software contrasts with (2) system software, a generic term referring to the computer programs used to start and run computer systems and networks; and (3) programming tools, such as compilers and linkers, used to translate and combine computer program source code and libraries into executable programs (programs that will belong to one of the three mentioned categories).
Guide to Application software subcategories
This guide is provided to assist locating those categories appropriate for an application software article. Lowest level subcategories are sometimes omitted (keeping the guide to a manageable size); click on any subcategory below to see if there are more detailed subcategories.
- You can also use Category:Lists of software to find similar software,
- then use the same, where appropriate, categories.
Business: Administrative, Business simulation, Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Enterprise application integration, Message-oriented middleware, Extract Transform Load (ETL), Financial, Accounting, Investment Club, Office, Content management systems (CMS), Blog, Collaborative, Document Management, Version control, Video Hosting, Widget management, Wiki, Office suites, Presentation, Spreadsheets, Typing, Word processors, Project Management, Mind-Mapping, Reporting, Risk Management, Technical Analysis, Workflow Technology
Communication: Amateur Radio, Bluetooth, Bulletin Board, Email, Instant Messaging Clients, Electronic mailing Lists, Technical Communication Tools, Diagramming, Documentation generators, Online help, Web Browsers
- Desktop publishing
- Typesetting, EPUB readers (e-books), Page description, PDF, PostScript, TeX, Troff
Education: Edu-Ware educational, Educational operating systems, Educational Programming Languages, Interactive geometry, Learning Management, Notetaking, Pedagogic integrated development environments, Renaissance Learning, Virtual learning environments
Computer Graphics:, 3D Graphics, Animation, 2D Animation, Data visualization, Diagramming, Image organizers, Image Viewers, Digital Photography, Panorama, Photo stitching, Raster Graphics, Raster to Vector Conversion, Screencasting (capture), Vector Graphics editors
Industry: Production and manufacturing, Computer-aided engineering, Building information modeling, Computer-aided design, Computer-aided engineering, Geotechnical engineering, Optical, Electronic Design Automation (EDA), Electronic circuit simulators, Computer-aided manufacturing, Film production, Screenwriting, Robotics
Multimedia: Audio, Audio codecs, Audio editors, Digital audio recording, Compositing, Media players, Media readers, Multimedia frameworks, Optical disc authoring, PDF, Podcasting, Tag editors, Video editing, Video conversion
- Artificial intelligence, Agent-based, Chatterbots, Computer vision, Expert systems, Face recognition, Natural language, Neural network, Optical character recognition, Speech recognition
- Bioinformatics, Molecular modelling, Molecular dynamics
- Cheminformatics, Chemistry, Computational chemistry, Molecular modelling, Molecular dynamics, Mass spectrometry
- Computational science
- Earth science, Earth sciences graphics, Virtual globes, Environmental science, Geographic information system (GIS), Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI), Integrated Hydrologic Modelling, Numerical climate and weather models, Remote sensing
- Linguistic research
- Mathematics, Computer algebra, Formal methods, Model checkers, Theorem proving, Formula editors, Interactive geometry, Numerical, Finite element, Mathematical optimization, Statistical, Data Analysis, Econometrics, Spreadsheets, Cryptographic
- Physics, Computational physics, Optics
This category has the following 36 subcategories, out of 36 total.
The following 22 pages are in this category, out of 22 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).