|Comune di Catenanuova (Enna)|
|• Mayor||Aldo Biondi|
|• Total||11.17 km2 (4.31 sq mi)|
|Elevation||170 m (560 ft)|
|• Density||440/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||St. Prosper|
|Saint day||Last Sunday in September|
Catenanuova is located in the island of Sicily, in the Dittaino valley, 38 km (24 mi) East from its province-town Enna and 35 km (22 mi) West from Catania. It is connected to Catania and Palermo by both railway and the A19 highway.
Catenanuova's ambient temperature and rainfall are recorded by a remote telemetry station operated by Sicily's Department of Water and Waste, which on August 10, 1999 measured a maximum of 48.5°C (119.3°F),. However, Catenanuova is not a World Meteorological Organization surface station – the nearest being c.37 km (23 mi) away at Enna – and the WMO's officially recognised European maximum is 48.0°C (118.4°F), recorded on July 10, 1977 in Athens, Greece.
Catenanuova was founded between 1727 and 1733 by Andrea Giuseppe Riggio-Statella, Prince of Aci Catena, to fulfil the last wishes of his mother, the Baroness Anna Maria Statella (died 1717) who wanted "to revive happy memories of childhood" after the 1693 Sicily earthquake had decimated her husband's family. A notarized document dated February 9, 1733 attests to the existence of Catenanuova at that date. Between 1731 and 1736 Catenanuova became a small urban center with full autonomy. The name of the town derived from Aci Catena and changed from Terra della Nuova Catena to Catena la Nuova to the present Catenanuova.
Catenanuova is classified as rural municipality. The main activities are agriculture (wheat, citrus, vegetables), and craft manufacturing (in iron and wood). The entrepreneurship index of Catenanuova was 43.27/1000 pop in 2001.
The average age in Catenanuova is 38.0 years for males, 39.9 years for females, and 39.0 years for the whole population (updated Jan 1, 2010). Females represent 51% of Catenanuova population, while males are 49% of it (updated Jan 1, 2010). Population below 18 years of age is 22.6% for males, 20.1% for females, and 21.4% for the whole population (updated Jan 1, 2010). Population over 65 years of age is 13.9% for males, 17.2% for females, and 15.6% for the whole population (updated Jan 1, 2010).
- "Alert zone H". Osservatorio delle Acque (Water Monitoring) Real-time data. Dipartimento dell'Acqua e dei Rifiuti. Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- "Table I – Daily temperature readings". Osservatorio delle Acque (Water Monitoring) Annual data. Dipartimento dell'Acqua e dei Rifiuti. 1999. p. 60. Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- "WMO Publication No. 9, Volume A, Observing Stations". World Meteorological Organization.
- "Weather reports worldwide: Enna (16450)". MeteoGroup. Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- "Europe: Highest Temperature". World Weather / Climate Extremes Archive. World Meteorological Organization. Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- "Comune di Catenanuova, storia e turismo". Comune di Catenanuova (EN).
- ISTAT (Italian National Institute of Statistics). "Statistical Atlas of Municipalities. 2009 edition" (included CD-Rom). ISBN 978-88-458-1630-7
- "Atlante Socioeconomico della Sicilia". Regione Sicilia, Atlante Statistico della Regione Sicilia.
- ISTAT (Italian National Institute of Statistics). "Statistiche demografiche ISTAT".