|Production||Late 2009 - Present|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||2-door Dump|
|Layout||Front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout|
|Engine||Caterpillar 6,469 cu in (106 L) C175-20 ACERT V-20 (t/c diesel)|
|Transmission||7-speed planetary gearset mechanical|
|Wheelbase||23 ft 7 in (719 cm)|
|Length||49 ft 6 in (1,509 cm)|
|Width||31 ft 3 in (952 cm) - overall tire width (fully loaded)|
|Height||25 ft 4 in (772 cm) - front canopy height (empty)|
|Curb weight||1,375,000 lb (623,690 kg)|
The Caterpillar 797F is an off-highway, ultra class, two-axle, mechanical powertrain haul truck developed and manufactured by Caterpillar Inc. in the United States specifically for high production mining and heavy-duty construction applications worldwide. The 797F is the third, current generation model of the 797 series and is Caterpillar's largest, highest payload capacity haul truck.
Caterpillar introduced the 797F to the public at MINExpo International in September, 2008. The 797F replaced its predecessor model, the 797B, when the 797F entered full production in late 2009. Prior to the introduction of the Caterpillar 797F and the Bucyrus MT6300AC at MINExpo International in September, 2008, the Liebherr T 282B, introduced in 2004, was the only haul truck with a payload capacity of 400 short tons (363 t).
Compared to the 797B, the 797F has a higher payload capacity and a more powerful, more efficient engine. These changes allowed Caterpillar to meet mine operators' needs to increase operational efficiency and reduce costs by increasing the amount of material hauled per trip.
The 797F's increased payload capacity of 400 short tons (363 t) is a 20 short tons (18.1 t) increase over the 797B.
Caterpillar replaced the gross 3,550 hp (2,647 kW) [net 3,370 hp (2,513 kW)] Cat 3524B EUI 24-cylinder diesel engine used in the 797B with the gross 4,000 hp (2,983 kW) [net 3,793 hp (2,828 kW)] Cat C175-20 ACERT 20-cylinder diesel engine, enabling the 797F to maintain the 42 mph (68 km/h) top speed of the 797B while transporting a heavier 400 short tons (363 t) payload.
A gross 4,000 hp (2,983 kW) [net 3,793 hp (2,828 kW)] Cat C175-20 ACERT single block, 20-cylinder, electronic common rail injection, quad turbocharged, air-to-air intercooled, four-stroke diesel engine powers the 797F. The power rating of the C175-20 is valid up to an elevation of 7,000 ft (2,134 m) or up to 16,000 ft (4,877 m) with a high altitude arrangement.
The 797F is equipped with a rear axle mounted, computer controlled, seven speed planetary transmission with an integral lock-up torque converter. Caterpillar is the only manufacturer of ultra class haul trucks to employ a hydraulic torque converter transmission. All ultra class haul trucks offered by competitors employ diesel-electric transmissions.
Caterpillar 797 Series Specifications
|Nominal Payload Capacity||360 short tons (327 t)||380 short tons (345 t)||400 short tons (363 t)|
|Gross Machine Operating Weight||1,230,000 lb (557,900 kg)||1,375,000 lb (623,700 kg)||1,375,000 lb (623,700 kg)|
|Engine Make & Model||Cat 3524B High Displacement EUI||Cat 3524B High Displacement EUI||Cat C175-20 ACERT|
|Engine Arrangement||V-12 x 2||V-12 x 2||V-20|
|Engine Power||3,211 hp (2,394 kW) net||3,370 hp (2,513 kW) net (SAE J1349)||3,793 hp (2,828 kW) net (SAE J1349)|
|Top Speed (Loaded)||40 mph (64 km/h)||42 mph (68 km/h)||42 mph (68 km/h)|
|Overall Height to Top of ROPS (Empty)||23 ft 8 in (7.21 m)||24 ft 11 in (7.59 m)||21 ft 5 in (6.53 m)|
|Overall Height (Body Raised)||49 ft 3 in (15.01 m)||50 ft 2 in (15.29 m)||51 ft 6 in (15.70 m)|
|Overall Length||47 ft 7 in (14.50 m)||47 ft 5 in (14.45 m)||49 ft 6 in (15.09 m)|
|Overall Tire Width (loaded)||30 ft 0 in (9.14 m)||32 ft 0 in (9.75 m)||31 ft 3 in (9.53 m)|
|Fuel Capacity||1,000 US gal (3,785 l)||1,800 US gal (6,814 l)||1,000 US gal (3,785 l)|
- BelAZ 75710
- Bucyrus MT6300AC
- Caterpillar 797
- Caterpillar 797B
- Komatsu 960E-1
- Liebherr T 282B
- Terex 33-19 "Titan"
- Haul truck
- "Off-Highway Trucks from Caterpillar". Caterpillar Website. Caterpillar Inc. Archived from the original on 2009-10-21. Retrieved 2009-10-21.
Developed specifically for high production mining and heavy-duty construction applications ...
- "Caterpillar 797F, 795F-AC & 793F Mining Trucks". Mining Top News Website. 2008-10-06. Archived from the original on 2009-10-21. Retrieved 2009-10-21.
At MINExpo 2008 Caterpillar introduced four new trucks.... the new 797F mechanical drive ...
- "Release Number: 231PR09 - Caterpillar Moves Forward with New Large Mining Trucks" (Press release). Caterpillar Inc. July 2009. Archived from the original (MICROSOFT WORD 97-2003 DOCUMENT) on 2009-10-21. Retrieved 2009-10-21.
... go into full production...late this year.
- "Caterpillar 797F Mining Truck Product Brochure AEHQ6039". Caterpillar Website. Caterpillar Inc. September 2009. p. 1. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-10-21. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
Nominal Payload Capacity 363 tonnes 400 tons
- "Caterpillar 797F Mining Truck Product Brochure AEHQ6039". Caterpillar Website. Caterpillar Inc. September 2009. p. 3. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-10-21. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
Gross Power - SAE J1995 2983 kW 4,000 hp .... The Cat C175-20 quad turbocharged and air-to-air aftercooled diesel engine...is a 20 cylinder, single block, four stroke design ...
- "Caterpillar 797F Mining Truck Product Brochure AEHQ6039". Caterpillar Website. Caterpillar Inc. September 2009. p. 14. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-10-21. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
No low altitude arrangement (LAA) engine derating required up to 2134m (7,000 ft) altitude. No high altitude arrangement (HAA) engine derating required up to 4877 m (16,000 ft) altitude.
- "Caterpillar 797F Mining Truck Product Brochure AEHQ6039". Caterpillar Website. Caterpillar Inc. September 2009. p. 4. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-10-21. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
The Cat seven speed, planetary power shift transmission...
- Mercer, Mike (June 1999). "A look at Cat's new 797 haul truck - Caterpillar Inc". Diesel Progress North American Edition. CBS Interactive Inc. p. 1. Retrieved 2009-10-27.
Caterpillar designed the truck in response to mining companies seeking a means to reduce cost per ton ...
- "Caterpillar 797F Mining Truck Product Brochure AEHQ6039". Caterpillar Website. Caterpillar Inc. September 2009. p. 15. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-10-21. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
Tire 59/80R63 - Michelin or Bridgestone
- "Michelin Factbook - 2007 Edition". Michelin Corporate Website. Manufacture Française des Pneumatiques Michelin. 2007. p. 15. Archived from the original (SHOCKWAVE FLASH PRESENTATION) on 2009-10-27. Retrieved 2009-10-27.
59/80 R 63 Michelin XDR Diameter: 4,028 meters...Weight: 5,300 kg ...
- "Bridgestone Online - Radial Tires - For Off-The-Road - V-Steel Rock Deep Premium VRDP". Bridgestone Online. Bridgestone Corporation. 2009. Archived from the original on 2010-03-08. Retrieved 2010-03-08.
VRDP is suitable for rigid dump trucks.
- Caterpillar 797F at Caterpillar Inc.
- Caterpillar 797F Mining Truck Product Brochure AEHQ6039
- Product Safety > Off-Highway Tractors and Trucks - Caterpillar Inc.
- Viewpoint - Perspectives on Modern Mining - Caterpillar Inc.