Catfight (video game)
|Publisher(s)||Atlantean Interactive Games|
Catfight (also known as Cat Fight and CatFight: The Ultimate Female Fighting Game) is a PC fighting video game developed by Phantom Card and published in 1996 by Atlantean Interactive (front for pornographic film company Vivid Entertainment). It is regarded as one of the worst video games ever made. The game is not related to the Japan-only PlayStation 2 game The Catfight.
The plot of Catfight revolves around a dark goddess Shinma and 10 female warriors competing to challenge her and obtain the ultimate power. The game's advertisement on Atlantean Interactive's website states:
"Join eleven of the fiercest female warriors from across the Ethers [sic] as they battle it out for the ultimate power of the Universe! Watch the head-to-head fighting assault blaze its way to your screen -- with the hottest women in games engaging in the most violent fighting techniques imaginable! Some of the things you must endure are disembowelment, decapitation, and worse! It's the ultimate life versus death struggle, where you must pulverize your opponent in eight awesome arenas to survive! Here is your chance to claim your place next to the most awesome women in the galaxy!"
Like the early games in the Mortal Kombat series, Catfight uses digitized actors for creating the sprites representing the fighters. Martial actress Katalin Zamiar of Mortal Kombat II fame portrayed a female ninja character Chae Lee.
GameRankings rated the game at only 8.67%, their score based on three magazine reviews (Computer Games Magazine rated the game 0/5). GameSpot's review at the time (the score of 1.6/10), called it "without a doubt, the worst computer game ever released," the reviewer Ron Dulin stating: "The worst thing about Catfight (and, believe me, that's a hefty accomplishment) is that the gameplay is just so damn bad. I'll sleep easier knowing there will never be a Catfight 2." The Daily Pennsylvanian called Catfight the "number one sexist game ever created". According to Next Generation, "In fact, it's tempting to believe Catfight was designed as a sneaky feminist ploy, since it serves as perfect punishment for sexist males who might buy it. Our scoring system won't let us give zeroes, so Atlantean owes us one star."
In 2010, PC Gamer ranked Catfight as the seventh worst game of all time, describing it as "so bad, being caught masturbating to it would actually be less embarrassing than being caught playing it." It was also included among the worst games of all time by Digital Spy in 2012 and by GamesRadar in 2014.
- Popular Science (June 1996)
- "The Catfight - PlayStation 2 - IGN". Uk.ps2.ign.com. Retrieved 2015-05-05.
- [dead link]
- "Atlantean Interactive Games: Catfight". Web.archive.org. 1997-02-03. Retrieved 2015-05-05.
- "Catfight for PC". GameRankings.com. Retrieved 2015-05-05.
- [dead link]
- "The Daily Pennsylvanian :: Dining services provider to cut jobs at Penn". Thedp.com. 2009-05-19. Retrieved 2015-05-05.
- Next Generation 22 (October 1996), p. 183.
- Richard Cobbett (2015-02-12). "The 15 worst PC games of all time". Pcgamer.com. Retrieved 2015-05-05.
- Langshaw, Mark (2012-09-16). "Feature: The Worst Games of All Time - Gaming News". Digitalspy.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-05-05.
- "The 100 worst games of all time". GamesRadar.com. 2015-05-01. Retrieved 2015-05-05.