Cathal Coughlan (singer)
His lyrics focus on politics, the seamy side of relationships and the interplay between the two, utilising surreal imagery and literary and historical references. He also uses a variety of musical styles, including neo-classical and techno. He has recorded with comedian Sean Hughes as "Bubonique" releasing a number of CDs parodying current musical trends including "20 Golden Showers" and "Trance Arse Volume 3".
His voice has prompted comparisons with Scott Walker, whom Coughlan considers a major influence. As a solo musician, he has completed five albums, the most recent of which is Rancho Tetrahedron. The first album, Grand Necropolitan, is available to download for free from his website. Coughlan is based in London and has become increasingly involved in musical theatre. In 2006 he was described in The Irish Times as the 'genius of Irish rock'. He was the subject of the documentary 'The Adventures of Flannery' which had screenings in Cork, Belfast, Dublin and further afield.
In August 2010, Coughlan released the album Rancho Tetrahedron, credited to "Cathal Coughlan and the Grand Necropolitan Quartet". The Irish Times noted that "Coughlan's mixture of acerbity and dark lyricism is sustained on his fifth solo album, that there is a subtle Latin influence on the music, and Coughlan's Scott Walker inflected voice has never sounded better." Earlier in the year Coughlan had also duetted with Dave Couse on the song "Good Friday" from Couse's Alonewalk.
In 2011, Coughlan began a collaboration with the British singer-songwriter Luke Haines and the writer Andrew Mueller, resulting in the live song/speech show The North Sea Scrolls, for a premiere at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August 2011. The studio recording of The North Sea Scrolls was released November 2012.
- Everybody Is Fantastic - 1984
- We Hate You South African Bastards! - 1984
- The Clock Comes Down the Stairs - 1985
- Crooked Mile - 1986
- 39 Minutes - 1988
- Peel Sessions - 1990
- Big Sleeping House - 1990
- From Daunt Square to Elsewhere - 2007
- Against Nature - 1989
- Viva Dead Ponies - 1990
- Bertie's Brochures - mini-album - 1991
- Come Back My Children - Compilation - 1992
- Valhalla Avenue - 1992
- Tima Mansio Dumps the Dead - Compilation - 1992
- Lost in the Former West - 1994
- Viva Dead Ponies/Nice Vines - 2007
- Im' long Me Measaim (Split flexi-disc/CAFF1) - 1989
- Grand Necropolitan - 1996
- Black River Falls - 2000
- The Sky's Awful Blue - 2002
- Foburg - 2006
- Rancho Tetrahedron - 2010 [#12 IRE Indie]
- The North Sea Scrolls (with Luke Haines and Andrew Mueller) - 2012
- The Last Bus Home 1990 - Johnny Gogan
- The Bargain Shop 1992 - Johnny Gogan
- Mapmaker 2001 - Johnny Gogan