|Elevation||2,014 ft (614 m)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||475193|
Catharine is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in Catherine Township, Ellis County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the population of the community was 104.
Volga German immigrants founded and settled Catharine in April 1876, naming it after Katharinestadt, the town they came from in Russia. Katharinestadt was the economic center of the German colonies in Russia and, as a result, Catharine's settlers were initially wealthier than those of other Volga German settlements in the area. More German settlers from Katharinestadt arrived over the next two years followed by Austrians from Moravia beginning in 1878.
Catharine is located at  It lies on the east side of North Fork Big Creek, part of the Smoky Hill River watershed, in the Smoky Hills region of the Great Plains. Catharine is roughly 3 miles (5 km) north of Interstate 70 and 6 miles (10 km) northeast of Hays, the county seat.(38.9272337, -99.2167660) at an elevation of 2,014 feet (614 m).
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Catharine has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
As of the 2010 census, there were 104 people, 49 households, and 29 families residing in the community. There were 59 housing units. The racial makeup of the community was 100.0% White. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 1.0% of the population.
There were 49 households out of which 28.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.1% were married couples living together, 4.1% had a male householder with no wife present, 2.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.8% were non-families. 40.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 16.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.12, and the average family size was 2.86.
In the community, the population was spread out with 19.2% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 27.0% from 25 to 44, 32.8% from 45 to 64, and 14.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41.5 years. For every 100 females, there were 92.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.9 males age 18 and over.
Catherine Road, a paved county road, runs east-west along the northern edge of the town.
- "American FactFinder 2". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-07-20.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Heim, Michael (2007). Exploring Kansas Highways. p. 31.
- Dreiling, B. M. (1999) , Golden Jubilee of German-Russian Settlements - Catherine, The KSGenWeb Project, retrieved 2010-07-02
- "Homesteading in Ellis County - Catharine". Kansas Heritage Project. Fort Hays State University. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- "Post Offices in Kansas". Kansas State Historical Society. Retrieved 2010-10-10.
- "2003-2004 Official Transportation Map". Kansas Department of Transportation. 2003. Retrieved 2010-12-18.
- "General Highway Map - Ellis County, Kansas". Kansas Department of Transportation. 2010-06-01. Retrieved 2010-12-18.
- Climate Summary for Catharine, Kansas
- "City of Hays / Ellis County Geospatial Data Portal". City of Hays / Ellis County - GIS Division. Retrieved 2011-09-11.
- "USD 489". USD 489. Retrieved 2011-09-11.
- Firmin Martin Schmidt