Cathedral of San Juan Bautista
The Cathedral of San Juan Bautista is the Roman Catholic cathedral of the Archdiocese of San Juan de Puerto Rico. The cathedral is one of the oldest buildings in San Juan, located in Old San Juan, and is the second oldest cathedral in the Americas. The Cathedral of Santa María la Menor in Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, is the oldest.
The original cathedral in what was the city of Puerto Rico (changed to San Juan after the Spanish-American War) was constructed from wood in 1521. It was destroyed by a hurricane and the current structure constructed in 1540, being reshaped in later centuries, the last time being in 1917.
The first school in Puerto Rico (and the oldest school in the United States after Puerto Rico became a territory of the United States) was the Escuela de gramática (Grammar School). The school was established by Bishop Alonso Manso in 1513, in the area where the cathedral would later be constructed. The school was free of charge and the courses taught were Latin language, literature, history, science, art, philosophy and theology.
The cathedral contains the tomb of the Spanish explorer and settlement founder Juan Ponce de León. It also has a shrine to the Blessed Carlos Manuel Rodríguez Santiago, the first Puerto Rican, the first Caribbean-born layperson and the first layperson in the history of the United States to be beatified.
|Interior of the Cathedral of San Juan Bautista|
- List of the Catholic cathedrals of the United States
- Oldest churches in the United States
- Oldest buildings in the United States
- Cathedral San Juan History
- "Cathedral of San Juan Bautista". Wondermondo.
- "Hispanic Firsts", By; Nicolas Kanellos, publisher Visible Ink Press; ISBN 0-7876-0519-0; p.40
- "Carlos Manuel Cecilio Rodríguez Santiago (1918-1963)". Blesseds: Table of the Beatifications during the Pontificate of His Holiness John Paul II. The Holy See. Retrieved 2007-06-04.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cathedral of San Juan Bautista.|
- Official Web Site of the Cathedral of San Juan Bautista (Spanish)
- English language web site with information about the Cathedral of San Juan Bautista
|This article on a Roman Catholic cathedral in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a church building or other Christian place of worship in Puerto Rico is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|