Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception (Syracuse, New York)
|Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception|
|Location||240 E. Onondaga St.
Syracuse, New York
|Consecrated||1874 (as Parish Church)
1904 (as Cathedral)
|Architect(s)||Original Church Lawrence J. O'Connor
1904 Expansion Archimedes Russell
|Diocese||Diocese of Syracuse|
|Bishop(s)||Most Rev. Robert Joseph Cunningham|
|Rector||Rev. Neal Quartier|
The church was initially constructed in 1874 by Lawrence J. O'Connor and named Saint Mary's Church and became the first parish in Syracuse. Formerly under the Diocese of Albany, the Diocese of Syracuse was created in 1887. In 1904, Bishop Patrick Ludden selected Saint Mary's Church to become the new Cathedral. Archimedes Russell was commissioned to expand the new Cathedral designing a new sanctuary and bell tower.
The Parish purchased the La Concha Turkish bath house, demolished it and built the Cathedral’s sanctuary. The Cathedral features the Shrine of the Blessed Mother sculpted by Jacqueline Belfort-Chalat.
The Cathedral was consecrated in 1910 and for the dedication, Pope Leo XIII gave Bishop Ludden a brick taken from the Holy Door at St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome. When Bishop Ludden died in 1912, he was buried in the crypt under the Cathedral.
In addition to offering daily masses, the Cathedral operates Emergency Services for the countywide population. It offers a food pantry, free furniture and clothing, and diapers and formula for infants. The Cathedral also operates the Cathedral Oxford Inn Shelter. The Cathedral will serve any homeless person who comes to their door. The Cathedral hosts volunteer lawyers one day a month to assist those people in the shelters.
The Cathedral hosts many local musicals and concerts performed by both area schools and professional groups. A selection of works by Herbert Howells played on the Cathedral’s Roosevelt-Schantz organ has been released on CD.
- Diocese of Syracuse; http://www.syrdio.org/index.asp?path=Cathedral
- The Syracuse Post Standard; Picture Gallery; http://www.syracuse.com/photos/news/gallery.ssf?cgi-bin/view_gallery.cgi/syr/view_gallery.ata?g_id=1968
- The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception; http://www.cathedralsyracuse.org/saintjohntheevangelist.html
- Bishop Ludden Jr. Sr. High School; ©2005; http://www.bishopludden.org/
- Zarex Corporation, ©1996-2002; http://www.zarex.com/bin/?zw_site_id=1&page=shop/flypage&product_id=22
- Syracuse Then and Now; http://syracusethenandnow.org/Dwntwn/Columbus/Cathedral/Cathedral.htm