||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
|Born||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.|
Catherine Feeny (born 1976) is an American singer/songwriter based in Portland, Oregon.
She grew up in Norristown, Pennsylvania, studied in Washington, D.C., and finally relocated to Los Angeles, where she started seriously writing her own songs. Her first album Catherine Feeny was produced by fellow singer/songwriter Joe Purdy and was released in the UK in January 2003. Shortly later, she met producer Sebastian Rogers who then produced her second album: Hurricane Glass, which was released in the UK in June 2006. It includes the single "Mr Blue" which features in the films Running With Scissors (2006) and Miss Conception (2008).
Feeny lived in Norwich for several years before moving to Oregon in 2008, where she released her third album, entitled "People in the Hole." The title track and only single from the album was featured in U.S. television series "Mercy" and "One Tree Hill."
After moving to Oregon, Feeny and producer Sebastian Rogers married, and formed the band Come Gather Round Us with Jon Neufeld (Black Prairie) and Mike Danner. The band released two folk albums, "Remember Where You Are," and "Despair?"
Feeny and Rogers went to New York in October 2011 to participate in the Occupy Wall Street protests and slept in Zuccotti Park until they and other protesters were arrested and forcibly removed on November 15. This experience was the catalyst for Feeny's fourth album, "America." "America" was recorded in Portland, Oregon at Bungalow 9 with musicians Matt Carson, Nate Crockett (Horsefeathers), Daniel Dixon (Greylag), and producer Sebastian Rogers.
While at Occupy Wall Street, Feeny met playwright and activist Eve Ensler (Vagina Monologues). After hearing Feeny's Occupy-inspired anthem, "United," Ensler commissioned her to write a song for her international organization One Billion Rising, which focuses on ending violence against women.
She has toured with Hal, Aberfeldy, Martha Wainwright, Dr. John, John Prine, Suzanne Vega, and The Hotel Cafe Tour. She has accompanied Kelly Jones of the Stereophonics on the "Only The Names Have Been Changed" tour.
Before embarking on her solo career, she played in several bands as an adolescent, including LAMPshADE;, among others.
- 2003: Catherine Feeny
- 2006: Hurricane Glass
1. Touch Back Down 2. Mr. Blue 3. I Still Don't Believe You 4. Always Tonight 5. The Shape You're In 6. Hush Now 7. Radar 8. Unsteady Ground 9. Hurricane Glass 10. No Reply 11. Forever (with hidden track Why)
- 2009: People in the Hole
- 2012: America
- 2008: Empty Buildings
- 2006: Hurricane Glass
- 2007: Mr. Blue
- 2007: Touch Back Down
- (7 June 2007). Catherine Feeny, The Sunday Times (UK)
- (12 September 2007). Catherine Feeny, Komedia, Brighton, Sep 13, The Argus
- OST at the Internet Movie Database
- (5 July 2006). Norfolk base suits rising star Catherine, Eastern Daily Press
- (12 May 2007). Feeny to lead Charismatic resurrection with reissued album, Music Week ("Originally released on her own label Tallgrass in 2006, Hurricane Glass sold 5,000 copies in...")
- Catherine Feeny official website
- I Like Music Catherine Feeny interview 2007 - ilikemusic.com
- Rising Star[dead link]
- Interview with Catherine Feeny - Music News, June 2007
- Catherine Feeny on Myspace
- LAMPshADe; official website