Catherine M. Stearns
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012)|
Catherine M. Stearns is an American poet.
Stearns grew up in Philo and Champaign-Urbana, Illinois. She received her B.A. in English from Beloit College, her M.F.A. in Poetry from the Iowa Writers' Workshop, and her Ph.D. in English and American Literature from Brandeis University.
Her collection of poetry, The Transparency of Skin, was the Minnesota Voices Project Winner for 1987 and was published by New Rivers Press in 1988. Her poems have appeared in Modern Poetry Studies, North Dakota Quarterly, Poetry Southeast, Calliope, New Delta Review, Iowa Journal of Literary Studies, Brandeis Review, College English, and Salamander. She received a 2012 Artist Fellowship in Poetry from the Massachusetts Cultural Council.
She has taught writing and literature at Macalester College, The College of St. Catherine, Emmanuel College (Massachusetts), and Harvard University, where she was awarded a Certificate of Excellence and Distinction in Teaching from the Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning in 2008. Currently, she is Chair of the English Department at Belmont Hill School, an independent school in Belmont, Massachusetts.
Awards and Fellowships
- Dana Award
- McKnight Artist Fellowship
- Massachusetts Cultural Council Artist Fellowship Finalist
- "Outside Cape Girardeau"
- The Transparency of Skin. New Rivers Press. April 1988. ISBN 978-0-89823-105-2.
- Harriet Semmes Alexander, ed. (1995). American and British Poetry: 1979-1990. Swallow Press. ISBN 978-0-8040-0988-1.
- Jonis Agee, ed. (1984). Border crossings: a Minnesota Voices Project Reader. New Rivers Press. ISBN 978-0-89823-054-3.
- "Icarus in Africa," in Madelon Sprengnether, ed. (1997). The House on Via Gombito, Second Edition: Writing by American Women Abroad. New Rivers Press. ISBN 978-0-89823-182-3.
- "Gender, Voice, and Myth: the Relation of Language to the Female in DH Lawrence's Poetry," The D.H. Lawrence review (1984).
- "The Lost Icon in The White Hotel," with Frances Bartkowski, Journal of the History of Sexuality (1990).
- , http://salamandermag.org/current/samples/poetry/outside-cape-girardeau.
- , http://bokcenter.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k1985&pageid=icb.page494361&pageContentId=icb.pagecontent1051659&view=view.do&viewParam_name=%2Ffall%2FCUEfall08n.html.
- , https://www.belmonthill.org/podium/default.aspx?t=204&nid=481170.
- , http://www.belmonthill.org/podium/default.aspx?t=104300.
- Dana Award, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Award
- , http://www.mcknight.org/grant-programs/arts/past-mcknight-artist-fellows