This article is about Catherine Russell, the jazz and blues vocalist. For the British actress, see Catherine Russell
Catherine Russell (born 1956) is a contemporary jazz and blues vocalist.
Her father, the late Luis Russell, was Louis Armstrong's long-time musical director, and her mother, the late Carline Ray, held degrees from both Juilliard and Manhattan School of Music and performed with the International Sweethearts of Rhythm during World War II.
She also worked with David Bowie as backing vocal and playing percussion, keyboards and guitar in Heathen Tour, Reality album and in A Reality Tour from 2002 to 2004.
Russell's cover of the 1920s song Crazy Blues was used in Episode 10, Season 1 of the HBO drama Boardwalk Empire. This song was included on a soundtrack recording that won in 2012 for Grammy Award for Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media at the 54th Grammy Awards. 
- Cat (2006)
- Sentimental Streak (2008)
- Inside This Heart of Mine (2010)
- Strictly Romancin' (2012)
- ^ Nat Hentoff and Lewis Porter, At the Jazz Band Ball: Sixty Years on the Jazz Scene (University of California Press, 2010: ISBN 0-520-26113-5), p. 26.
- ^ Hogg, Karen (2008-02-12). "CD/LP Review: Sentimental Streak". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2010-09-12.
- ^ Yardley, William. "Carline Ray, an Enduring Pioneer Woman of Jazz, Dies at 88". New York Times. Retrieved 7/28/13.
- ^ "Catherine Russell: An In-Studio Fresh Air Concert", interview/concert with Terry Gross, host; NPR, May 28, 2012.
- ^ HBO: Boardwalk Empire: S 1 EP 10: Music date retrieved 10/20/12
- ^ "Boardwalk Empire (Volume 1 Music From The Hbo Original Series) Soundtrack". CD Universe. CD Universe. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- ^ Haury, A.C. "Boardwalk Empire Wins at 54th Annual Grammy Awards, Wins Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media". Yahoo TV. Retrieved 7/28/13.