Catherine of Bjurum
|Catherine of Bjurum|
|Queen consort of Sweden and Norway|
|Coronation||2 July 1448|
|Spouse||Charles VIII of Sweden, I of Norway|
|Issue||Margareta Karlsdotter (Bonde)
Magdalena Karlsdotter (Bonde)
|Father||Karl Ormsson (Gumsehuvud)|
|Died||7 September 1450
Catherine of Bjurum, in her lifetime called Katarina Karlsdotter in Swedish, also Katarina Gumsehuvud (died 7 September 1450) was the Queen consort of Sweden from 1448 to 1450 and later the Queen consort of Norway from 1449 to 1450. She was the second wife of Charles VIII of Sweden, I of Norway.
A daughter of the nobleman Karl Ormsson (Gumsehuvud), she was married to Regent (and then widower) Charles on 5 October 1438, when she became first lady and functioned as Queen in a ceremonial sense until 1440, when her husband was replaced as regent. Before their marriage, dispensation was obtained from the Pope, as Catherine was related to Charles's first wife. This was to ensure that children born in the marriage would be regarded as legitimate.
In 1448, her spouse became regent again and then was crowned King. She was crowned Queen of Sweden in Uppsala Cathedral on 2 July 1448. The next year, her husband became King of Norway also, making her Queen of Norway. The marriage is described as very happy and resulted in nine children. It was said that "Their relationship had always been of the best kind". Their second daughter, Magdalene, married Ivar Axelsson (Tott), an uncle of Ingeborg Tott.
Queen Catherine was described as beautiful and cheerful; she created a nice environment and a relaxed atmosphere at court, and she was forthcoming to those who came seeking audience.
- Margaret Karlsdotter (Bonde) (1442–1462)
- Magdalen Karlsdotter (Bonde) (1445–1495), married to noble Ivar Axelsson (Tott) 1466
- Richeza Karlsdotter (Bonde) (born ca. 1445) nun at Vadstena Abbey.
- Bridget Karlsdotter (Bonde) (1446–1469) nun at Vadstena Abbey.
- four sons died early
- Wilhelmkina stålberg: Anteqningar om svenska qvinnor (Notes on Swedish women) (Swedish)
- Åke Ohlmarks: Alla Sveriges drottningar (All the queens of Sweden) (Swedish)
- Herman Lindvist: Historien om alla Sveriges drottningar (History of all the queens of Sweden) (Swedish) (2006)
- Lars O. Lagerqvist: Sveriges regenter - från forntid till nutid (The regents of Sweden - from then to now)
- Dick Harrison: Karl Knutsson
Catherine of BjurumBorn: 1400s Died: 1450
Dorothea of Brandenburg
|Queen consort of Norway
Dorothea of Brandenburg
|Queen consort of Sweden