||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2010)|
September 25, 1970 |
|Education||Graduate of Wheaton College, master's degrees from Northwestern University and Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary|
|Occupation||Journalist, author, blogger|
Cathleen Falsani (born September 25, 1970) is an American journalist, author and blogger. She is religion columnist who has written for The Orange County Register in Southern California and the Chicago Sun Times. Falsani is the author of several non-fiction books on religious, spiritual, and cultural issues.
She was the 2005 Religion Writer of the Year, as awarded by the Religion Newswriters Association.
Falsani graduated from Wheaton College in 1992, and holds master's degrees in journalism from the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University, and in theological studies from Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary in Evanston, Illinois. She was raised Roman Catholic.[non-primary source needed]
Falsani is the author of The God Factor: Inside the Spiritual Lives of Public People, a collection of 32 spiritual profiles of famous "culture shapers" including Bono, Elie Wiesel, Anne Rice, Hakeem Olajuwon. Falsani's first book, it was published by Farrar, Straus & Giroux in 2006, launching Sarah Crichton Books, a new imprint of the publisher. It was named among the best non-fiction books of 2006 by the Christian Science Monitor.
In early 2007, Falsani left the Chicago Sun-Times as its religion reporter after 10 years, but continued on as the paper's religion columnist until Jan 13, 2010. She wrote, Sin Boldly: A Field Guide For Grace (2008) a spiritual memoir and travelogue and The Dude Abides: The Gospel According to the Coen Brothers (2009), both published by Zondervan.
Falsani has been a columnist for the Religion News Service and a columnist and contributing editor at Sojourners magazine.[unreliable source?] She also was Web Editor and Director of New Media for Sojourners from 2011 to 2012. Cathleen worked for The Orange County Register from 2013 to 2014.
Interview with Obama on religion
In March 2004, Falsani conducted an interview with Barack Obama. At the time of the interview, Obama was a state senator from Illinois and democratic nominee for the U.S. Senate in the 2004 election.[unreliable source?] The interview focused on Obama's religious beliefs and spiritual predilections.[unreliable source?]
Falsani was born and raised in Connecticut. Since 1997, Falsani has been married to Maurice Possley a former Chicago Tribune investigative reporter and author. The couple has a son adopted from Malawi in 2010 and they live in Laguna Beach, California.
- Belieber!: Fame, Faith and the Heart of Justin Bieber. Worthy Publishing. 2011. ISBN 9781936034772.
- The God Factor: Inside the Spiritual Lives of Public People. Farrar, Straus and Giroux. 2006. ISBN 0374163812.
- Sin Boldly: A Field Guide for Grace. Zondervan. 2008. ISBN 9780310279471.
- The Dude Abides: The Gospel According to the Coen Brothers. Zondervan. 2009. ISBN 9780310292463.
- Falsani, Cathleen (2014-03-26). "The 'terror' of Noah: How Darren Aronofsky interprets the Bible". The Atlantic.
- Rosenthal, Phil (2010-01-15). "Brief update on end of Cathleen Falsani's Sun-Times religion column". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2010-09-08.
- Vogt, George (2010-08-06). "Dominican University presents lecture with Cathleen Falsani". www.dfwcatholic.org (blog). Retrieved 2010-09-08.
- Waldman, Steven (2008-11-11). "Obama's fascinating interview with Cathleen Falsani". blog.beliefnet.com (blog). Beliefnet. Retrieved 2010-09-08.
Gordon, Dick (2009-06-12). "Vasco's Heart". The Story with Dick Gordon. American Public Media. NPR. http://www.thestory.org/stories/2009-06/vascos-heart. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
Gordon, Dick (2010-11-03). "Surviving the midterms". The Story with Dick Gordon. American Public Media. NPR. http://www.thestory.org/stories/2010-11/surviving-midterms. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- Official website
- "Falsani Abides". Lebowski Podcast. Episode 32. 2009-09-13. http://lebowskipodcast.com/index.php/Episodes/Episode-32-Falsani-Abides.html.
- "Cathleen Falsani interview". Religion & Ethics Newsweekly. 2009-10-09. PBS. WNET. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/episodes/october-9-2009/cathleen-falsani-interview/4520. (on The Dude Abides)