Richardson at a solo show in Elgin, IL at the end of 2013.
|Birth name||Catherine E. Richardson|
|Born||February 21, 1969|
|Genres||Psychedelic rock, Folk rock, Blues rock|
|Instruments||Vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar|
|Associated acts||Big Brother and the Holding Company, Jefferson Starship|
Catherine E. Richardson (born February 21, 1969), who goes professionally by Cathy Richardson, is a singer and songwriter from Chicago, Illinois.
Richardson grew up in west suburban Burr Ridge, Illinois and graduated from Hinsdale Central High School in Hinsdale, Illinois. Before starting her music career, Richardson worked as an auto mechanic and as a cashier at her father's gas station. She started her music career full-time in 1990. She was introduced to Jim Peterik who mentored her and helped with her first two albums. She has also co-written songs with Peterik, and is a fairly frequent guest in his all-star World Stage concerts. She and Peterik remain good friends.
Millions of American preschoolers have seen her on Noggin's Jack's Big Music Show, and the Cathy Richardson Band has been voted Best Local Band in polls by the Chicago Tribune and Fox News Chicago. She portrayed Janis Joplin in the original cast of the hit Off-Broadway musical "Love, Janis." She also sang Janis' vocal parts for Big Brother and the Holding Company during many of their recent live shows.
In 2004, Richardson and art director Bill Dolan were nominated for a Grammy award for best recording package for her album The Road to Bliss.
After owning a house in Elmhurst, Illinois for a time, Richardson now is based in San Francisco.
- Moon, Not Banana (1993) Jessica Records
- Fools on a Tandem (1995) Jessica Records
- Snake Camp (1998) Bloody Nurse Records
- Buzzzed (2001) Bloody Nurse Records
- The Road to Bliss (2003) Cash Rich Records
- Delusions of Grandeur (2006) Cash Rich Records
- All Excess... Live @ the Park West (1996) Jessica Records
Compilation albums featuring tracks by Cathy Richardson
- Songs of Janis Joplin: Blues Down Deep (1997) House of Blues Records (song "Try Just a Little Bit Harder")
- Sweet Emotion: Songs of Aerosmith (2001) (song "Last Child")
- Here Come the Irish (2003) The O'Neill Brothers (Cathy is featured on the song "Here Come the Irish")
- Folksongs of Illinois, Vol. 4 (2011) (Cathy is featured on the Woody Guthrie song "Old Chy-Car-Go")
side project albums
The Juleps (Cathy Richardson along with members of The Insiders)
- Kickbutt City, USA (1998)
- Jefferson's Tree of Liberty (2008)
- The Other Side (2010)
- Soeder, John (October 21, 2008). "Revamped Jefferson Starship sets course for Cleveland, with Paul Kantner at helm". The Plain Dealer (Cleveland, Ohio). Archived from the original on December 3, 2011. Retrieved March 23, 2011. Additional WebCitation archive, December 3, 2011