Map of Bohol showing the location of Catigbian
|Region||Central Visayas (Region VII)|
|District||1st district of Bohol|
|Founded||June 17, 1949|
|Barangay||22 (see § Barangays)|
|• Mayor||Roberto L. Salinas|
|• Total||78.48 km2 (30.30 sq mi)|
|• Density||290/km2 (750/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD:area code||+63 (0)38|
|Income class||4th class|
Catigbian is a fourth class municipality in the province of Bohol, Philippines, located 35 kilometres (22 mi) north from Bohol's capital city, Tagbilaran. Catigbian is an interior town north of Balilihan, south of Sagbayan and Tubigon, east of San Isidro and west of Batuan.
According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 22,686.
Catigbian is divided into 22 barangays.
- Causwagan Norte
- Libertad Sur
- Mahayag Norte
- Mahayag Sur
- Poblacion Weste
- Triple Union
The town was founded in 1829 as one of the villages where rebels were resettled after the Dagohoy Rebellion had been suppressed. In 1903, when the province was reorganized, it was annexed to Balilihan but was made an independent municipality once more on June 17, 1949. When the town was recreated in 1949, there were only 15 barrios within its territorial limits compared to the 22 barangays it has now.
|Population census of Catigbian|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
- Literacy Rate: 87.9%
- 1 Tertiary School (Bohol Northwestern Colleges)
- 2 Catholic Secondary Schools (Immaculate Mary Academy, Holy Infant Academy)
- 5 Public Secondary Schools (Catigbian National High School,Mantacida National High School,Haguilanan High School, Hagbuaya High School & Mahayag High School)
- 19 Public Elementary Schools
- 3 Primary Schools
- 22 Day Care Centers
Commerce and industry
- Catigbian Public Market- 3rd Best Pamilihan in Region 7 for 2006
- Livestock Auction Center- the biggest in the Province of Bohol and recognized as one of the biggest in Region 7
- Catigbian Waterworks System
- One Town One Product (OTOP) Display Center
- 8,950 ha (22,116 acres) alienable & disposable land
- 43.85% devoted to crops
- 56.15% pasture land, grassland, idle land
- 2,351 ha (5,809 acres) forestal land
- Livestock Raising (alternative)
- 3 Cellular Sites (SMART, GLOBE & DIGITEL (SUN))
- Philippine Postal Office
- 2 Public Calling Offices
- Landline Phones (Mayor’s Office, Bohol Northwestern Colleges & Bagtic Masagana Multi-Purpose Cooperative)
- 3 Pumping Stations for 12 barangays – 500 m3 (18,000 cu ft) /day
- 2 more barangays with own pumping station
- Catigbian Training Center
- Municipal Court Hall
- Municipal Conference Hall
- Public Market
- Tennis Court
- Basketball Court/Multi-Purpose Court (sports and other activities)
- Catigbian District Hospital
- Municipal Health Center
Feast Days & Patron Saints
Catigbian comprises two parishes:
- • Immaculate Conception Parish (church located in Poblacion West), which celebrates its Feast Day every December 8 in honor of the Immaculate conception of the Virgin Mary
- • Sto. Niño Parish (Church located in Baang), which celebrates its feast day on the third Saturday of January in honor of the Holy Child Jesus
Catigbian is home to caves, hanging bridges, handicrafts, livestock market and for its nature resort. Among its attractions are Catigbian Magic Nature Resort, Rizal Hanging Bridge, Cantalina Cave, Haguilanan Cave, Candumayao Cave, Bongbong Cave, and Dagook Falls.
The Katigbawan Festival
What distinguishes Catigbian from other towns is its annual festival, the Katigbawan, which is a week-long festival in June consisting of various activities like carabao-racing, hog-catching, agrofair, motorcross and a search for Miss Katigbawan.
This four-day event has several activities lined up starting with the opening of the festival with a parade after a holy mass. It is followed by a comparza and a talent contest of Miss Katigbawan candidates during the day. Judging of the display of agro fair, bloodletting and motorcross takes place on the second day. On the third day is the Carabao Parade with carabao-racing and hog-catching at central elementary school and the search for Catigbian's prettiest – the Miss Katigbawan Beauty Pageant – in the evening.[a] On the fourth day is the Street Dancing and then a fireworks display to cap the festival.
- A beauty and brains search for the girl best exemplifying the true Catigbianon. The winner represents the town in the province's most prestigious pageant – Miss Bohol Sandugo – held in July
- "Municipality of Catigbian". Province of Bohol. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "Population and Annual Growth Rates by Province, City, and Municipality - Region VII - Central Visayas: 1990, 2000, and 2010". National Statistics Office.
- "An Act Changing the Name of the Municipality of San Jacinto, Province of Bohol, to Catigbi-an". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-11.
- National Statistics Office - Population and Annual Growth Rates by Province, City and Municipality: Central Visayas: 1995, 2000 and 2007
- Municipality of Catigbian official website
- Municipality of Catigbian
- Provincial Government of Bohol
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Miss Katigbawan Beauty Pageant