Caves Road (Western Australia)
|Length||111 km (69 mi)|
|Maintained by||Main Roads Western Australia|
|Tourist routes||Tourist Drive 250 (south of Cape Naturaliste Road)|
|North-east end||Bussell Highway, Abbey|
|South end||Bussell Highway (State Route 10), Augusta|
Caves Road is a 111-kilometre-long (69 mi) scenic route in the South West region of Western Australia. It connects western Busselton with Augusta, running along or to the west of the Leeuwin-Naturaliste ridge, and is an alternative route to Bussell Highway. Caves Road is also a major component of the route from Cape Naturaliste to Cape Leeuwin, in what is known as the state's Capes Region.
Starting at Bussell Highway in Abbey, west of Busselton, Caves Road initially heads west through Dunsborough to Yallingup. From there the road travels southwards, between the coast and Bussell Highway, which it rejoins at the northern edge of Augusta.
Most of the surfing locations that are on the coastline between Cape Leeuwin and Cape Naturaliste are accessed via Caves Road.
Caves Road was named due to it being a way to access the caves of the region, though was sometimes referred to as Margaret Caves Road. It has since also been considered as a tourist route within the road network, and designated as such in the 1990s.
The road for a long time was a gravel road only, and in the 1930s to 1960s its condition was a problem. A few sections run for only short straight alignments; its upgrading and maintenance is an ongoing issue.
- "Road Information Mapping System". Main Roads Western Australia. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- South West Region map (PDF). Version 1.0. Cartography by Main Roads Western Australia. Main Roads Western Australia. 13 August 2013. Archived from the original on 29 August 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- Main Roads Western Australia; Western Australian Tourism Commission; Royal Automobile Club. "Tourist Drives of Western Australia" (PDF). Main Roads Western Australia. Archived from the original on 4 April 2011. Retrieved 3 November 2013. Additional archives: 11 April 2015.
- "On the Picturesque Cave-road, near Margaret River.". The Sunday Times (Perth: National Library of Australia). 25 April 1926. p. 3 Section: Third Section. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "Dappled shadows.". The Australian Women's Weekly (National Library of Australia). 21 March 1979. p. 66. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- Augusta-Margaret River Tourist Bureau (1997), The caves of Augusta Margaret River, Augusta-Margaret River Tourist Bureau, retrieved 15 December 2013
- "DISTRICT NEWS.". Bunbury Herald (WA: National Library of Australia). 22 May 1903. p. 3. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "ROAD CONDITIONS.". The Daily News (Perth: National Library of Australia). 14 May 1932. p. 7 Edition: FINAL SPORTING EDITION. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "Country Road Allocation.". The West Australian (Perth: National Library of Australia). 18 August 1951. p. 6. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- ERM Mitchell McCotter Pty. Ltd; Western Australia. Main Roads (1998), Caves Road planning strategy. Stage C, final report, Main Roads Western Australia, retrieved 15 December 2013
Media related to Caves Road, Western Australia at Wikimedia Commons
|This Western Australian road or road transport-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|