Cease to Begin
||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (September 2013)|
|Cease to Begin|
|Studio album by Band of Horses|
|Released||October 9, 2007 (U.S.)
July 23, 2008 (Japan)
|Recorded||Echo Mountain Studios, Asheville, North Carolina|
|Label||Sub Pop Records|
|Band of Horses chronology|
|Drowned in Sound||(8/10) |
|Pitchfork Media||(7.7/10) |
|Relevant Magazine||(4.5/5) |
Cease to Begin is the second album by Band of Horses, released on October 9, 2007.
Following the release of their debut album, Everything All the Time, founding members Mat Brooke, Chris Early and Tim Meinig all left the band. Band leader Ben Bridwell recruited Joe Arnone (guitar & keyboards), Creighton Barrett (drums) and Rob Hampton (bass & guitar) as replacements, although Joe Arnone left the band prior to their 2007 tour. Robin Peringer (Modest Mouse - guitar), Matt Gentling (Archers of Loaf - bass) and Ryan Monroe (keyboards) joined the band for the tour, although only Monroe stayed for the recording of Cease to Begin. After the album's release he became a full band member.
The album debuted at number 35 on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart and was #47 on Rolling Stone's list of the Top 50 Albums of 2007. It was also a minor hit in Scandinavia, charting in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Cease to Begin was released in Japan on July 23, 2008 by Tear Bridge Records. The Japanese version featured an enhanced video for "Is There a Ghost" plus three live bonus tracks, including a cover of Ronnie Wood's "Act Together", written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, which he recorded for his album, I've Got My Own Album to Do.
Ben Bridwell described the sound of Cease to Begin, "I guess the first record had some kind of country-ish leanings...I think there's maybe a little bit more of [that] feeling on it, a little more down-home...not so much indie rock."
The first track, "Is There a Ghost", was made available for download on the band's MySpace page on August 28, 2007 and made number 93 on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Best Songs of 2007. The song became the band's first single to chart in the United States, peaking at #34 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart. The album's second single "No One's Gonna Love You" was featured as a free iTunes download, distributed at Starbucks locations.
|1.||"Is There a Ghost"||Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett||2:59|
|2.||"Ode to LRC"||Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett||4:16|
|3.||"No One's Gonna Love You"||Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett||3:37|
|4.||"Detlef Schrempf"||Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett||4:28|
|5.||"The General Specific"||Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett, Monroe||3:07|
|6.||"Lamb on the Lam (in the City)"||Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett||0:50|
|7.||"Islands on the Coast"||Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett||3:34|
|8.||"Marry Song"||Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett||3:23|
|9.||"Cigarettes, Wedding Bands"||Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett||4:35|
|10.||"Window Blues"||Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett||4:01|
|Japan-only Bonus Tracks|
|11.||"No One's Gonna Love You" (Live BBC session)||Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett|
|12.||"Is There a Ghost" (Live BBC session)||Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett|
|13.||"Act Together" (Live BBC session)||Jagger, Richards|
|14.||"Is There a Ghost" (Enhanced video)||Bridwell, Hampton, Barrett|
- Track 4 is named after the German basketball player Detlef Schrempf who played for Seattle SuperSonics in the 1990s, although no mention of him is made in the song's lyrics.
- Phil Ek - producer, mixing
- Jon Ashley - assistant engineer
- Julian Dreyer - assistant engineer
- Cameron Nicklaus - assistant engineer
- Dusty Summers - design
- Christopher Wilson - photography
- Ben Bridwell - Lead vocals, guitar.
- Rob Hampton - Guitar, bass guitar.
- Creighton Barrett - Drums.
- Ryan Monroe - Keyboards.
- "Is There a Ghost" (August 28, 2007)
- "No One's Gonna Love You" (February 25, 2008)
|US Billboard 200||35|||
|UK Albums Chart||148|||
|Danish Albums Chart||23|||
|French Albums Chart||199|||
|Norwegian Albums Chart||18|||
|Swedish Albums Chart||57|||
Cease to Begin tracks in popular culture
- "Cigarettes, Wedding Bands" was used in the game Guitar Hero 5.
- "Is There a Ghost" was used in Season 2 of the TV series Fringe in episode 21, "Northwest Passage."
- "Is There a Ghost" and "No One's Gonna Love You" are available as downloads for the Rock Band series via the Rock Band Network.
- "Is There A Ghost" was used in the 2010 film Due Date.
- "No One's Gonna Love You" was used in Season 5 of the TV series One Tree Hill in episode 6, "Don't Dream It's Over"
- "No One's Gonna Love You" was used in the 2009 film Zombieland.
- "No One's Gonna Love You" was used in Season 1 of the TV series Chuck in episode 10, "Chuck Versus the Nemesis."
- "No One's Gonna Love You" was used in Season 5 of the TV series Numb3rs in episode 23, "Angels and Devils"
- "No One's Gonna Love You" was used in the 2011 film Prom.
- "The General Specific" was used in Season 1 of the TV series Gossip Girl in episode 11, "Roman Holiday."
- "The General Specific" was used in Season 1 of the TV series Chuck, in episode 3, "Chuck Versus the Tango."
- "The General Specific" was played over the credits of the 2009 documentary film Winnebago Man.
- Cee-Lo Green has recorded a cover of "No One's Gonna Love You" for his 2010 album The Lady Killer.
- Renee Fleming has recorded a cover of "No One's Gonna Love You" for her album her 2010 album Dark Hope.
- Austin Chronicle, Doug Freeman, #1 album of 2007
- Delusions of Adequacy, #9 album of 2007
- Filter Magazine, #2 album of 2007
- The Onion AV Club, #5 album of 2007
- Paste Magazine, #9 album of 2007
- Leahey, Andrww. Cease to Begin at AllMusic
- Blogcritics review
- Drowned in Sound review
- The Guardian review
- NME (10/20/2007, p.39)
- Pitchfork Media review
- Robert Christgau review
- Relevant Magazine review
- Rolling Stone review
- Sputnik music review
- Twisted Ear review
- Band of Horses > Chart History > Billboard Albums Allmusic
- Guide to the Misguided Stereogum - December 17, 2007
- Cease to Begin Ultratop entry - Ultratop
- The Return of Band of Horses - Cease to Begin eachnotesecure.com - July 20, 2007
- Rolling Stone lists rocklist.net
- Band Of Horses - Is There A Ghost Allmusic
- Tacopino, Joe "Southern Comfort: An Interview with Band of Horses' Ben Bridwell" PopMatters - November 8, 2007
- "1994–2010 > Darren B – David Byrne" Chart Log UK (Zobbel)
- "Fringe - Northwest Passage (first aired May 6 2010)" Heard On TV
- "Soundtracks for Due Date" IMDb
- "Soundtracks for "One Tree Hill" Don't Dream It's Over (2008)" IMDb
- "Soundtracks for Zombieland (2009)" IMDb
- "Chuck - Versus The Nemesis (first aired November 26 2007)" Heard On TV
- "Soundtracks for Numbers - Angels and Devils (2009)" IMDb
- "Production Information" cinemareview.com
- "Soundtracks for Gossip Girl - Roman Holiday" IMDb
- "Soundtracks for Chuck - Chuck Versus the Tango (2007)" IMDb
- "Band of Horses Endorses Winnebago Man" musicsnobbery.com - June 4, 2010
- Larry Fitzmaurice, "Cee-Lo Covers Band of Horses' No One's Gonna Love You" Pitchfork - July 1, 2010
- Cease to Begin Metacritic entry Metacritic