Cecil Irwin (footballer)
Irwin made his debut for Sunderland on 20 September 1958 against Ipswich Town in a 2–0 defeat at Roker Park. He went on to make 313 league appearances, scoring just a single goal at his time with the club.
After finishing his stint with Sunderland, he moved on to Yeovil Town as a player-manager, staying with them from 1972–75, when his contract was not renewed. He moved on to play for Ashington, also managing the Colliers for a year.
Cecil continued to manage after his playing days were done, managing Ashington, just outside his hometown of Ellington twice more, first in 1996–98, and again in 2000–02, the latter time managing his squad to promotion, but unable to stick in the new league and being let go after relegation the next year.
- "Sunderland 0–2 Ipswich Town". The Stat Cat. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- "Cecil Irwin". The Stat Cat. Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- "Yeovil Town Story Part 31". ciderspace. Retrieved 2010-10-19.
- "Yeovil Town Story Part 32". ciderspace. Retrieved 2010-10-19.
- Shotten, Brian. "Ashington AFC in the Northern League: 2nd Division Champions 2001". ashingtonafc.com. Retrieved 2010-10-25.