Cecilia (Norwegian singer)
|This biographical article relies on references to primary sources. (November 2011)|
Cecilia, known for her rendering of "Amazing Grace"
|Born||Harstad, Troms, Norway|
New Age music
|Years active||1994 - present|
Northern Light Music
Cecilia is a Classical crossover singer, originally from Norway, who is known for her rendering of "Amazing Grace". She has released 7 albums, 2 via Universal Music, and performed worldwide, selling several hundred thousand albums with virtually no mainstream publicity.
Cecilia grew up in the small town of Harstad, in Norway in the Arctic Circle, the 'land of the midnight sun'. She wanted to become an opera singer after seeing a television broadcast of the opera Aida, when she was 9 years old. Her graduation marks from the Conservatory of Music in Oslo, Norway, were (extremely rare) perfect scores. She studied for 6 years in conservatories in Norway, Denmark and Germany.
She then moved to New York to study with Oren Brown, a vocal coach renowned to help a singer 'discover their natural voice'. In April 2002, upon Luciano Pavarotti's suggestion and referral, she began to study with Dr. William Riley, coach of Celine Dion, and worked with Pavarotti and Andrea Bocelli, and even Bill Clinton.
Cecilia has toured with Hay House published authors, such as Dr. Wayne Dyer, Dr. Deepak Chopra, Louise Hay, Marianne Williamson and Stuart Wilde, and performed in Norway, Japan, England, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and the United States. She has performed at large venues including the Hollywood Palladium in Los Angeles and the Miami Arena, Miami, Florida.
She was discovered in 1994 by the British writer Stuart Wilde, who was behind her first two albums, Voice of the Feminine Spirit and Voice of Violet 19.
Cecilia opened the new millennium by singing at the Deepak Chopra Millennium event, where His Holiness the Dalai Lama gave a speech. She sang at the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics, where she also performed a concert at the World of Ice, and sang for the Crown Prince, Crown Princess and King of Norway.
Cecilia supports Plan International, personally sponsoring a child in Nepal. She supports the Norwegian Federation for Animal Protection. She has also performed for the benefit of the Linda McCartney Cancer Foundation. Her activities with the charity stem from her own experiences, as she lost her mother to the disease.
1994 - Voice of the Feminine Spirit 
1. Solveig's Song First Verse 2. The Sacred Hum 3. Love of a Silent Moon 4. Two Swans Matched in Flight 5. Daughter of the Midnight Sun 6. Amazing Grace
7. Silver Wings 8. The Lion and the Unicorn 9. The Eternal Heartbeat 10. Unite the Tribe 11. Solveig's Song, 2nd verse
1996 - Voice of Violet 19 
1. When You Wish Upon A Star 2. Violet 19 3. Star Child 4. Lightness of Being 5. The Protection Song 6. Pavane Pour Une Infante Defunte
7. The Tracker's Song 8. My Boy Hero 9. Eg veit i himmerik ei borg 10. The Snow Leopard's Prayer 11. The Riddle
1999 - Inner Harmony 
1. Fly Away 2. Losing faith 3. We Have Met Before 4. The Prayer 5. Today 6. Wisdom of Your Heart
7. Inner Harmony 8. Carpe Diem 9. Å eg veit meg eit land 10. In Dreams 11. Angel of Love
2001 - Let There Be Peace On Earth
2003 - Best of Cecilia 
1. The Sacred Hum 2. Love of a Silent Moon 3. Daughter of the Midnight Sun 4. Amazing Grace 5. Unite the Tribe 6. When You Wish Upon A Star 7. The Protection Song
8. Pavane Pour Une Infante Defunte 9. The Tracker's Song 10. Fly Away 11. Today 12. Inner Harmony 13. In Dreams 14. Angel of Love
2006 - The Healing Voice 
1. Ave 2. Going Home 3. Domine 4. The Prayer 5. Credo 6. Ave Maria
7. Soul of the World 8. Mea Culpa 9. Pie Jesu 10. Anahata 11. The Magic 12. Amen
2007 - Amazing Grace 
1. Amazing Grace 2. Prayer of St Francis 3. You Raise Me Up 4. Angel 5. From a Distance
6. Ave Maria 7. Over the Rainbow 8. I Believe 9. May It Be 10. The Roe
Other Album Performances
Cecilia was the lead soprano on the album by the renowned and award winning flutist and composer Tim Wheater.
Heart Land by Tim Wheater (released 1995)
Voices - "18 of the Most Beautiful Voices in the World" Compilation (This album was released by Universal Music Korea 2004)
"The Eternal Heartbeat" by Cecilia