Ceephax Acid Crew
||This article is written like a personal reflection or opinion essay that states the Wikipedia editor's particular feelings about a topic, rather than the opinions of experts. (August 2012)|
|Birth name||Andrew Jenkinson|
|Origin||Chelmsford, Essex, England|
|Genres||Acid techno, drum and bass, electronic music|
|Instruments||Sampler, drum machine, synthesizer|
|Labels||Rephlex, Planet Mu, Breakin'|
Ceephax Acid Crew is a British acid techno and drum and bass electronic musician named Andy Jenkinson. Jenkinson is also known simply by the pseudonym Ceephax, which is a pun on the BBC teletext service Ceefax. He is the brother of Squarepusher (Tom Jenkinson).
Music and career
Ceephax's music from 1997 to 2002 and beyond used mainly vintage (especially Roland) drum machines and synthesizers such as the TB-303. This music was often recorded onto a cassette tape deck. The music was released on vinyl records and cassette tape on underground labels such as Breakin' Records, Lo Recordings and Firstcask. This primitive Acid House aesthetic and methodology countered the growing popularity of the computer music and compact disc releases of the time. Rephlex Records and Warp Records also released remixes of Squarepusher by Ceephax around this time.
From 2003 onwards as well as his more typical Acid style he has also released drum and bass songs made on old samplers, a Commodore Amiga and various early digital synthesizers, again displaying an interest in late 1980s and early 1990s dance music. His set on Mary Anne Hobb's show Breezeblock in 2003 and more recent tracks such as "Castilian" and "Arcadian" also indicate an interest in Chiptune music.
From 2007 he has had full releases on the Rephlex and Planet Mu record labels. He also continues to release on Firstcask and other small independent labels such as WéMè, Bugklinik and his own label Waltzer.
Ceephax is popular with some electronic music fans for his live performances. Ceephax's shows are set apart from the popular Laptop style of "live" electronic performance by exclusively using only analogue and early digital equipment and occasionally an Amiga computer. These sets range from old school house, acid house, techno, drum and bass and gabber all in Ceephax's distinctive style. He has also produced several music videos predominantly using old video equipment and early computer animation.
- (FSK005) with Drive Time bonus cassette - Firstcask (2000)
- Exidy Tours (as Ceephax) - Firstcask (2003)
- Ceephax Acid Crew - Breakin' Records (2003)
- Ceephax Acid Crew Part One - Breakin' Records (2003)
- Ceephax Acid Crew Part Two - Breakin' Records (2003)
- Ceephax Presents "Acid Travelator" - Funbox Records (2006)
- Volume One - Rephlex Records (2007)
- Volume Two - Rephlex Records (2007)
- Drive Time LP (as Ceephax) - Firstcask (2008)
- Ceeland - Waltzer (2009)
- United Acid Emirates - Planet Mu (2010)
- Live - WALTZER (2011)
- Cro Magnox - WéMè (2013)
EPs and singles
- Radiotin EP - Breakin' Records (1998)
- Bainted Smile EP - Breakin' Records (1998)
- Acid Quakers 1000 (as Ceephax) - Lo Recordings (2000)
- Acid Legacy EP - Breakin' Records (2003)
- Hardcore Wick/Acid Varsity Speciale - Firstcask (2006)
- Hardcore Esplanade - Bug Klinik Records (2006)
- The Crisp Chronicles - WeMe Records (2006)
- Ceerial Port EP - Firstcask (2006)
- Megalift EP - Planet Mu (2007)
- Wild Westie - Kitchen Dweller Records (2008)
- Psychtapolis - WeMe Records (2010)
- The Unstoppable Phax Machine - 030303 Records (2011)
- Capsule In Space/Mediterranean Acid - WALTZER (2012)
- "World Dissolver EP" - WALTZER (2013)
- Ceephax Acid Crew Live @ WMF Club, Berlin, 1.25.01 - Live Bootleg encoded by CBrown (2001)
- Ceephax live on Mary Anne Hobbs's Breezeblock show on BBC 1 - Various bootlegs. (2004)
- Various - www.ceephax.co.uk (2005)
- Ceephax Acid Crew Live on Resonance 104.4 fm - Live Bootleg recorded 18 April (2005)
- "Every Time Mix" and "Tarzan Mix" on Remixes 12" (1998)
- "Ceephax Mix" on Selection Sixteen by Squarepusher (1999)
- "Sho U Rite (Ceephax Remix)" on Kerrier District 2 (2006)
- The Wire (203-208). 2001 http://books.google.com/books?ei=Gn4dULKxD8PuiQKhpIHwAg&id=yB9MAAAAYAAJ&dq=squarepusher++%22Andy+Jenkinson%22&q=squarepusher++%22Andy+Jenkinson%22#search_anchor
|url=missing title (help).
- "Ceephax Acid Crew Website". Retrieved August 4, 2012.