From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Celaeno, one of the Harpies, whom Aeneas encountered at Strophades. She gave him prophecies of his coming journeys.
- Celaeno, one of the Pleiades. She was said to be mother of Lycus and Nycteus by Poseidon; of Eurypylus (or Eurytus), King of Cyrene, and Lycaon, also by Poseidon; and of Lycus and Chimaereus by Prometheus.
- Celaeno, one of the Danaids, the daughters of Danaus. Her mother was Crino. She married and killed Hyperbius, son of Aegyptus and Hephaestine. She was also believed to have had a son Celaenus by Poseidon.
- Celaeno, daughter of Hyamus and granddaughter of Lycorus. She was the mother of Delphus by Apollo.
The following modern uses derive from the Ancient Greek mythical name:
- Celaeno, a star in the Pleiades open cluster of stars.
- USS Celeno (AK-76), a United States Navy Crater class cargo ship
- Ship Celaeno builder A. HALL & Co Aberdeen. Rig: SHIP. Construction: Wood. Yard Number: 233. Completed in June 1863. Weighed 702 tons and measured 173.0 feet x 30.2 feet x 18.7 feet. The Celaeno made eleven trips to New Zealand.
- The star Celaeno features as a location in the Cthulhu Mythos stories of August Derleth.
- The harpy Celaeno appears as a captive of a traveling witch's Midnight Carnival, in the Peter S. Beagle classic fantasy novel, The Last Unicorn and the 1982 film based on the book.
- Celaeno is the name of the chief Goddess in the Celaeno Series by Jane Fletcher.
- Celaeno is also the name of Skylord Lysander's flying ship in the Shadow Of Israphel series by the Yogscast. It crashed on the first SoI episode.
- Hyginus, Fabulae, Preface & 14
- Virgil, Aeneid, 3. 209-211, with the commentary by Servius
- Bibliotheca 3. 10. 1
- Scholia on Apollonius Rhodius, Argonautica, 4. 1561
- Tzetzes on Lycophron, 132
- Bibliotheca 2.1.5.
- Strabo, Geography 12. 8. 18
- Diodorus Siculus. Library of History, 4.16.3.
- Pausanias, Description of Greece, 10. 6. 3