Celebrate Recovery, also referred to as CR, is a Christ-based approach to recovery that was a response to twelve-step programs such as Alcoholics Anonymous. It was founded in 1990 by Pastors John Baker and Rick Warren of Saddleback Church, and is aimed at all "hurts, habits, and hang-ups", including but not limited to drug and alcohol addictions, sex addiction, eating disorders, anxiety disorders, and people who have been sexually abused. The founders felt that Alcoholics Anonymous was too vague in referring to God as a "higher power," and wanted a more specifically Christ-based program. Celebrate Recovery utilizes eight Recovery Principles that are based on the Sermon on the Mount.
Celebrate Recovery was started by John Baker and Rick Warren
- Addiction recovery groups
- List of twelve-step groups
- Recovery model
- Self-help groups for mental health
- Secular Organizations for Sobriety
- Rational Recovery
- Women For Sobriety
- Lobdell, William (1999-04-24). "12 Steps, Christian Style; Lake Forest Ministry Has Helped Thousands, in a Concept That's Spread". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- Brown, MD, MPH, Anthony E.; Whitney, Simon N. MD, JD; Schneider, Max A. MD; Vega, Charles P. MD (June 2006). "Alcohol Recovery and Spirituality: Strangers, Friends, or Partners?". Southern Medical Journal 99 (6): 654–657. doi:10.1097/01.smj.0000198271.72795.ab.
- Baker, John, and Richard Warren. Celebrate Recovery: Getting Right with God, Yourself, and Others: Participant Guide, 3. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Pub. House, 1998. Print.
- Baker, John, and Richard Warren. Celebrate Recovery: Growing in Christ While Helping Others: Participant Guide 4. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Pub. House, 1998. Print.
- Baker, John, and Richard Warren. Taking an Honest and Spiritual Inventory: Participant's Guide 2: A Recovery Program Based on Eight Principles from the Beatitudes. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Pub. House, 1998. Print.
- Baker, John. Celebrate Recovery Leader's Guide: A Recovery Program Based on Eight Principles from the Beatitudes. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Pub. House, 2005. Print.
- Baker, John. Stepping out of Denial into God's Grace: Participant's Guide, 1. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 1998. Print.
- Baker, John. Your First Step to Celebrate Recovery: How God Can Heal Your Life. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2012. Print.