Celebration – The Anniversary Album
|Celebration – The Anniversary Album|
|Compilation album by Johnny Mathis|
Stage & Screen
|Johnny Mathis chronology|
Celebration – The Anniversary Album is a compilation album by American pop singer Johnny Mathis that was released in the UK in 1981 (upon the 25th anniversary of his first recording) by the CBS Records division of Columbia. It entered the UK album chart on September 19, 1981, and reached number nine over the course of 16 weeks, and nine days later, on September 28, the British Phonographic Industry awarded the album with Silver certification for sales of 60,000 units in the UK. It was released on compact disc in 1990.
Two of the covers on the compilation had not previously been included on any Mathis album: Stevie Wonder's "If It's Magic" and a new version of Mathis's 1976 song "When a Child Is Born" that was recorded with Gladys Knight & the Pips and reached number 74 on the UK singles chart during a two-week run that began on December 26, 1981.
Before the music begins for track two, Mathis provides some narration: "I've been privileged through my life to have had so many wonderful songs to sing. I'm often asked which are the most special and memorable for me. On looking back over my career right up until now, I've been thinking about the songs that have been, well, in a sense, landmarks for me across the years, and it all began with this..." -- "Wonderful! Wonderful!" being the song that he's referring to. He also comments on the occasion of this collection at the beginning of the last track, "If It's Magic".
- "You Saved My Life" performed with Stephanie Lawrence (Chris Arnold, Geoff Morrow) – 2:50
- "Wonderful! Wonderful!" (Sherman Edwards, Donald Meyer, Ben Raleigh) – 3:05
- "It's Not for Me to Say" (Robert Allen, Al Stillman) – 3:05
- "Chances Are" (Robert Allen, Al Stillman) – 3:03
- "When a Child Is Born" performed with Gladys Knight & the Pips (Ciro Dammicco, Fred Jay) – 3:52
- "Too Much, Too Little, Too Late" performed with Deniece Williams (Nat Kipner, John Vallins) – 2:59
- "The Last Time I Felt Like This" performed with Jane Olivor (Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman, Marvin Hamlisch) – 2:57
- "Stop Look and Listen to Your Heart" (Thom Bell, Linda Creed) – 4:18
- "With You I'm Born Again" (Carol Connors, David Shire) – 4:03
- "Three Times a Lady" (Lionel Richie) – 4:13
- "She Believes in Me" (Steve Gibb) – 4:22
- "I Will Survive" (Dino Fekaris, Freddie Perren) – 3:59
- "Evergreen (Love Theme from A Star Is Born)" (Barbra Streisand, Paul Williams) – 3:15
- "When I Need You" (Albert Hammond, Carole Bayer Sager) – 3:26
- "Sweet Surrender" (David Gates) – 2:35
- "How Deep Is Your Love" (Barry Gibb, Maurice Gibb, Robin Gibb) – 3:42
- "We're All Alone" (Boz Scaggs) – 3:22
- "Misty" (Johnny Burke, Erroll Garner) – 3:34
- "I'd Rather Be Here with You" (Thom Bell, Linda Creed) – 3:47
- "If It's Magic" (Stevie Wonder) – 3:48
- Jack Gold – producer
- "Celebration: Anniversary Album - Johnny Mathis". allmusic.com. All Media Network, LLC. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- "Johnny Mathis - Albums". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- "BPI search results". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "Johnny Mathis - Singles". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2 February 2014.
- (1981) Celebration – The Anniversary Album by Johnny Mathis [album jacket]. London: CBS Records 10028.
- (1979) Mathis Magic by Johnny Mathis [album jacket]. New York: Columbia Records JC 36216.
- (1993) The Music of Johnny Mathis: A Personal Collection by Johnny Mathis [CD booklet]. New York: Columbia Records C4K–48932.
- (2006) Gold: A 50th Anniversary Celebration by Johnny Mathis [CD booklet]. New York: Columbia Records 82876 88583 2.
- (1980) "When a Child Is Born/The Lord's Prayer" by Johnny Mathis and Gladys Knight & the Pips [7–inch single]. London: CBS Records A1758.
- (1978) You Light Up My Life by Johnny Mathis [album jacket]. New York: Columbia Records JC 35259.
- (1979) The Best Days of My Life by Johnny Mathis [album jacket]. New York: Columbia Records JC 35649.
- (1973) I'm Coming Home by Johnny Mathis [album jacket]. New York: Columbia Records KC 32435.
- (1980) Different Kinda Different by Johnny Mathis [album jacket]. New York: Columbia Records JC 36505.
- (1981) The First 25 Years – The Silver Anniversary Album by Johnny Mathis [album jacket]. New York: Columbia Records C2X 37440.
- (1977) Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me by Johnny Mathis [album jacket]. New York: Columbia Records PC 34872.
- (1973) Me and Mrs. Jones by Johnny Mathis [album jacket]. New York: Columbia Records KC 32114.